'Houdini server failed to start' error c4d

6301   22   2
11 posts
Hey guys,

just thought i'd post this to see if anyone else has had this problem. I've been going back and fourth with both Maxon and sidefx support but seems like we've all run out of ideas now.

I bought houdini indie last week, installed it and the c4d houdini engine. All working perfectly. Then because i don't have c4d updates on automatically i realised i'd missed an update. So i installed the update (R17.053), which of course means i need to download the new version of the engine from the ‘get houdini installer’ link in the pipeline menu (which is houdini-15.0.313).

And that seems to have broken everything. Houdini runs fine, and c4d loads the houdini engine (although license type and engine status remains Unconfirmed and Uninitalised). But any time i try and load a digtal asset i get the error ‘Houdini Server failed to start’. I'm sure its the correct version as the pipeline menu loads but the error appears when loading the asset.

The asset was definitely made in the full indie version (not apprentice), and infact those same assets were working before i updated the version. I've even made a new test asset today just to double check but the error still comes up.

I'm licensing houdini and the engine using the license server (sidefx support said i need to use the non local one for houdini engine to run). And all licenses appear correctly installed and working.

I'm pretty much out of ideas short of wiping my entire computer and reinstalling from scratch - which i'd rather not do.

Have attached a few screen shots of my prefs and the error. Anyone come across this?

Attachments:
c4dprefs.JPG (44.4 KB)
error.JPG (10.8 KB)
hkey.jpg (174.1 KB)

2 posts
Same here. I bought and installed Houdini Indie two weeks ago and it was running without any problems on my MBP. I did also the C4D update to 17.053. I didnt open C4D immediatly. Yesterday I openend Cinema 4d and after this my Houdini Indie Version 15.5.565. Houdini didnt start and the License Administrator Tool didnt show my licenses anymore. I got the Error message: ERROR: ‘Houdini Engine Indie’ license version 15.0 is greater than the version of the license server on “my-computer” …wtf
So I made updates and tried different solutions, but nothing worked. After I found your thread and had a look at the improvements of the C4D- update:

HOUDINI EXCHANGE
Fixed several stability issues
Fixed several cosmetic issues
Upgrade to Houdini Build 15.0.313
Fixed an issue with Remove Unused Materials
Fixed several issues with Houdini Engine and XPresso
Fixed several issues with Houdini Engine and Physical Render
Fixed several issues with Houdini Engine and Motion Blur
Fixed several issues with Houdini Engine and Team Renderer
Fixed an issue with Undo performance loss

I got an idea what it could be. I guess the Upgrade overwrote License Administrator Tool from your last build, cause the Error says, ERROR: ‘Houdini Engine Indie’ license version 15.0 is greater than the version of the license server on “my computer”
In the attachement you see an Message from the License Administrator tool. The thing is, I just run the License Administrator tool from the 15.5.565-folder.
So I thought, Okay lets remove everything ( I even deleted the sesi folder from the preferences) and install Version 15.0.313 direct from Cinema 4D. This installer is directly linked from Cinema 4d to the older installer. When I installed, restarted my computer and like to start Houdini Indie, the License Administrator Tool crashes all the time. I can’t open it at all.

Maybe it will work in our cases again, when you deinstall C4D and you go back to Version 17.048.
I didnt tried it so far, cause I'm sick of sitting on my computer and nothing works.

I send this report also to the Sesi support. Let's see what happens.

Attachments:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-21 um 13.03.28.png (60.4 KB)

11 posts
Yeah i had a similar problem whereby houdini indie would only run in apprentice mode after installing the update. I spoke to Sidefx, then told me to uninstall all houdini versions. Install the c4d version (with server licensing) and then they gave me a new license file which seemed to fix a problem i'd also had with permissions.

So that got houdini indie working again but not the engine. I'm still running houdini indie on the 15.0.313 version and haven't upgraded yet, but still not sure why indie engine has the problem. Its seems as though everything is working fine license wise again so I'm maybe there's something wrong with where c4d is looking for the houdini server.

Now that i've got through all the license stuff with sidefx i might give maxon a shout again.

Let me know if you find anything out

Cheers
342 posts
Hey guys,
Houdini 15 and 15.5 have different licensing systems as far as I know.
The fact that 15 works, doesn't mean that 15.5 works and vice versa.
Please talk to SESI, and make sure you state your exact Houdini ENGINE version number.
Houdini Engine indie BTW is free. You shouldn't need a license.
The license you have to RUN 15.5 is NOT the same as the one to use the 15 engine.

There's nothing Maxon can do about this AFAIK, only SESI

Cheers
11 posts
Thanks Noseman,

yeah the thing is all i am using is 15 now, there currently no 15.5 licensing on my system. But your absolutely right, houdini engine is free and hence should need the license.

I'll mention this to SESI again with my engine version although they seem to be confident everythings working on the licensing side, so they keep sending me back to maxon.

Cheers for the advice, i'll post anything i can find out

11 posts
Ps regarding “houdini server failed to start” in c4d. Houdini server is the same thing as the licensing server? Or is it something that runs the engine?
2 posts
Sorry guys.. my mistake. A lot of guessing. Finally I talked to Sesi and they told me that my Computer renamed his self. They told me this is a very common problem on OSX. So after renaming my maschine back to his initial name, everything is works well.
Best regards
342 posts
richnosworthy
Ps regarding “houdini server failed to start” in c4d. Houdini server is the same thing as the licensing server? Or is it something that runs the engine?
SideFX introduced something called a “thin client” in the way the houdini Engine works, so that if Houdini crashes it doesn't take C4D down with it.
The thin client is the “houdini server”, therefore the engine NOT the license server.

They shouldn't send you back to Maxon as Maxon can do nothing about this. This is definitely a licensing issue.

Cheers
11 posts
Thanks Noseman, I've tried again and they've checked out my licenses compared it to the houdini engine version and everything is working correctly. I can launch houdini indie fine, houdini engine is licensed and ok, it just doesn't work in cinema4d.

Seem to be stuck in no mans land now between SESI and maxon. Think i'll shelve it and try again when R18 is out. Appreciate the suggestions : )
342 posts
Hey Rich,
I have to tell you that there's something “fishy” here and it isn't C4D.
I just got a free indie engine license, and installed it using the License Administrator.
Neither C4D NOR Unity can load the engine.

If it's a licensing issue, neither R18 will work.
Please download Unity (free), install the Unity Engine Plugin and go here:
https://www.sidefx.com/products/houdini-engine/unity-plug-in/ [sidefx.com]

for instructions.
If you can load an hda in Unity, then it's probably C4D's “fault”.
If NOT then it's definitely a Houdini License issue.

Cheers
342 posts
Update.
In my case it was the License Server “Key”. I reinstalled it and it works.

Just try the Unity test, and tell me what happens.

Cheers
11 posts
Interesting. Thanks, i'll download Unity, check this out and report back. Cheers!
11 posts
So I installed unity, and loaded up my test houdini digital asset. Works fine, loads without issue. So its only in c4d that the asset fails to load with ‘Houdini server failed to start’ error.

I did recieve an email from Maxon today to say that their devs are looking into it again.

But yours was a licensing issue right?

Thanks
Edited by richnosworthy - Aug. 24, 2016 20:31:53
342 posts
Yes. A quick email to SESI and they told me to reinstall the key…

interesting development. Post any news here for reference please.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
If I come up with something I'll let you know as well.

Cheers
11 posts
No worries, thanks for taking the time to answer Athanasios. And yup will post a solution if I find one
3 posts
Just bumping this one up, anyone have any luck getting it working? I have just tried using Houdini Engine for a new job and something seems to have broken somewhere. Getting the “Houdini Server Failed to Start” error as above.

11 posts
Still broken for me at the moment, Maxon offered to help me roll back my cinema4d version to the previous update (where the houdini version worked), but i said I'd wait for r18 as i'm mostly using alembic at the moment. I believe Maxon are looking into it at the moment, and that was the last i heard.
11 posts
Just to close off this thread, Maxon got in contact and they've fixed it in R18. Installed today and all working fine again
342 posts
Great to hear it got resolved for you.
Sorry I couldn't offer more help, but all's good that ends good.
Can't wait to see what you're doing with it. I'm an admirer of your work :-)
11 posts
No worries man, probably one of those weird bugs in the system. Cheers man, having a lot of fun with it, but still heaps to learn : )
  • Quick Links