Material parameter question Houdini

2240   2   0
8 posts
Being new to Houdini and Redshift renderer I have a noob question:

I assigned a Redshift material to a surface and called it RS_Floor.

I then dived into its’ vopnet to add textures.

While I was there I also changed some values (e.g. for diffuse, roughness).

Going back to the shop and selecting the RS_Floor material there, I noticed that the parameter values here are different than the ones I had just set in the vopnet.

My assumption was, that the parameters shown on the shop level and the ones on the vopnet level are the same, because it is the same material I am dealing with. But this assumption seems to be wrong.

Can somebody explain how the relationship is or where I can read more about it?
Edited by madno - Sept. 25, 2016 13:52:05

Attachments:
RS_Mat.png (271.6 KB)

2536 posts
Basically they are not the same. Generally I just add VOPNetworks then dive inside the network. If you add a RSMaterial at the SHOP level you can't connect anything to it's input. If you add a vopnetwork at the SHOP level and dive inside you will find all that is really there is a closure. Add a RSMaterial inside the vopnetwork and you can connect it's output to the input of the closure. At this point you also will see that the RSMaterial inputs are exposed and you can connect things like textures to colors and so on. You can also connect textures output colors directly to the input of the closure which gives you blazingly fast direct light rendering, without any shadows of course.
Edited by Enivob - Sept. 26, 2016 17:03:07
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
8 posts
Ok,

i think I need to evaluate more.
Any hint on a tutorial for this topic?

Thanks
  • Quick Links