Designing VEX Driven Digital Assets in Houdini - Issues with setting parameters .

2391   2   0
18 posts
Hi i just some what finished this tutorial from Pluralsight. And was hoping someone could take a look at it.
The main problems im having with it right now are .

1 - Trunk Level 1(branches) appears to work , but level 2 none of the noise parameters are working .

2 - If i set the iterations up even higher levels 3 and on do not seem to generate .

Attachments:
Designing VEX Driven Digital Assets in Houdini.hiplc (2.1 MB)

2529 posts
On the noise Attribute VOP you need to follow through with all those IF statements and construction of index from ../info/i.

For instance, to follow through on Frequency you would need something like this.
if(ch("../use_noise" + ch("../info/i")) == 0, 1, ch("../freq" + ch("../info/i") + "1"))
if(ch("../use_noise" + ch("../info/i")) == 0, 1, ch("../freq" + ch("../info/i") + "2"))
if(ch("../use_noise" + ch("../info/i")) == 0, 1, ch("../freq" + ch("../info/i") + "3"))

What you currently have is.
ch("../freq" + ch("../info/i") + "1")

For each field you will also have to consider what is a “smart” default when use_noise is off. In the above exampe I just chose 1 for the default of Frequency, you may want something smaller than that.

It is such a confusing way to make something. You do realize you don't need the VOP at all. Just write it as pure code in a Wrangle. If you right-click on the VOP you can actually view the code the VOP generates to get some ideas on how to make calls to the various vex functions like aanoise and such.
Edited by Enivob - Sept. 29, 2016 17:12:15
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
18 posts
Thank you !!! I have never used vex before and was just copying what the tutor did .
In the future ill review this and learn about other ways to approach the project .
  • Quick Links