Big issue in point group definition - cannot add point to group

2946   9   1
19 posts
Hello everyone, I'm new to houdini, and now i'm learning a DT tutorial whose name is Creating Your Own Custom Pyro FX in Houdini. In lesson 12 it's mainly goal is to first create a group defined by a transferred attribute, than run a looped process which search the adjacent points of this group, and add them to it until the group contains all points of the object. When I'm practicing it I encountered some difficult issues:

1. The group, whose name is fuelgrp doesn't exist before the simulation progress, so it has to be created by an set attribute node in the vop which embraced in the solver SOP. But the set attribute node doen't work.

2. Trying to solve this I pre-defined it by using a group SOP before the simulation, but because of at the start frame there's 0 point within it so therefore it still unable to join the simulation and no points were add into it till the last frame, no matter whether I use the solver SOP or a DOP network with pointCloudOpen vop node.

I've tried all methods I know but none of it works. BTW I'm using houdini 15 and the tutorial was made by houdini 12. I've already substituted some of the vop nodes based on h12 by h15 nodes. Now I upload my exercise files for u, please take a look ant help me to point our what is going wrong. Thank u very much!!!
Edited by Terryjin_314 - Oct. 20, 2016 21:26:22
1743 posts
Can you try attaching the files again? It looks like they didn't show up. (Also, I deleted your duplicate post, which also didn't seem to have your files, in case you were wondering.)
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
19 posts
ndickson
Can you try attaching the files again? It looks like they didn't show up. (Also, I deleted your duplicate post, which also didn't seem to have your files, in case you were wondering.)

Thank u ndickson! Sorry for bothering u by posting a duplicated topic. I'd uploaded them but seems failed..Now I'll upload them once again.

PS it's size is more than 5mb…I've just wondered why it cannot be uploaded after I've tried several times. I have to compress it into 2 archives, sorry for doing trouble for u. Thank u very much once again.
Edited by Terryjin_314 - Oct. 20, 2016 22:06:18

Attachments:
LetterDT.bgeo (916.5 KB)

19 posts
Here's my hip file part 1
Edited by Terryjin_314 - Oct. 20, 2016 22:02:16

Attachments:
my_pyro_practice.part1.rar (4.0 MB)

19 posts
part 2. I shall apologize for the big file uploaded, but i'm afraid of the probably information lost by deleting something. Thank u for attention
Edited by Terryjin_314 - Oct. 20, 2016 22:05:56

Attachments:
my_pyro_practice.part2.rar (3.9 MB)

2624 posts
Do you have the DT scene file from the finished tutorial ? maybe post that up and we can pull it apart

rob
Gone fishing
19 posts
circusmonkey
Do you have the DT scene file from the finished tutorial ? maybe post that up and we can pull it apart

rob

Thank u rob! Yes I have the project file, but it's too big (about 30MB) to be uploaded here. I'm trying to register a new dropbox account and upload it for u to download. U know as a f**king communist country china blocked most of the widely used websites, and it's very very difficult for me to upload & download something because I have to use proxies to bypass the blockage….

Ok now the link is created successfully. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmhh10bk1ezvyoy/14_DT_Setup_Dop.hip?dl=0 [dropbox.com]

Thank u for ur attention!!
Edited by Terryjin_314 - Oct. 21, 2016 02:19:01
2624 posts
The way ahead is strip down the scene ………Replace any of theier geo with spheres / grids / torus etc etc. Simplification is the name of the game

Rob
Gone fishing
19 posts
circusmonkey
The way ahead is strip down the scene ………Replace any of theier geo with spheres / grids / torus etc etc. Simplification is the name of the game

Rob

Thank u! It really works. I got rid of the geo import SOPs and replaced them by torus SOPs in both my exercise hip file and the DT sample file. Now the size of my exercise file reduced to 1.6 MB. But the DT file is still as large as 13MB(there are no longer any outer geos exists in the file - I don't know why). But after being compressed into a rar file it's 4MB now and able to be uploaded here.

Now I'll upload them again.

Attachments:
my_pyro_practice_m.hip (1.6 MB)

19 posts
This one is the modified DT hip file

Attachments:
14_DT_Setup_Dop1.rar (4.0 MB)

• Quick Links