Ripple Solver Tut Issue

1619   1   0
2036 posts
Hello,

I was working through both of Manuels Ripple Solver tutorials.

I have an issue where my whole grid gradualy rises as the sim progresses. (In the Tutorial it doesn't)

I've seem to have isolated the issue to the use of a Ramp node in my Point Vop.

Because if I take out the ramp node, the grid doesn't rise.

However the issue does seem to be related to the solver as well, since even if I have the Ramp node connected in the network; if I am only looking at the Point Vop results, the grid too in that case doesn't rise.

I'm really puzzled as to what is causing this, of course I've checked my conections and parameter settings a number of times compared to the tut…but I can't find where the issue is.

Help on this matter is appreciated. Thanks.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 16, 2017 19:43:19

Attachments:
Ripple Tut Rising Grid.hiplc (1.9 MB)

2036 posts
…Well…I got “lucky” in “hacking” a solution.

What I did basicaly is set the slider parameters of the ramp to linear, then reset sim, then set the sliders back to bezier ( which is what I wanted originally ), then reset sim again…now it works.

This isn't the first time I've come across something like this. At the moment I'm working with vops but I noticed the same thing happening sometimes using vex snippets.

Even though your set up is “do-able”, meaning it's not something erroneous in your settings, the code doesn't always compile to what you have.

It can make de-bugging extremely hard because it's hard to tell if there something wrong with your set up or like in this case just a matter of poking around until it compiles ‘properly’.

I know it's the compiler because I've noticed this behaviour on occasion when I was doing small C programs using MinGW on windows; I'd make a small change in the code which was both syntacticly and logicly correct, but the compile process wouldn't update the changes and in order for that to happen I would have to do things like delete the executable, save the compile to another directory, close and restart windows, etc.

What I'm experiencing here with this hip file and others in the past is something similar.

Houdini, probably could use a little work on this vop/vex compiler part.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 17, 2017 11:07:38
  • Quick Links