Search - User list
Full Version: Export alembic sequence yields only first frame
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Export alembic sequence yields only first frame
jizrik
Hi there,

I'm trying to export a simple geo as alembic sequence using ROP Alembic, but I'm unable to export more the 1 frame.

I'm rendering custom frame range from 1 to 10.
$HIP/output.$F4.abc

I would expect to see: output.1001.abc, output.1002.abc, output.1003.abc etc…
But I always get only “output.1001.abc”

I attached also a simple scene.

Am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks
Enivob
I believe Alembic has the animation contained within a single file. You don't need a sequence. A sequence is for file types that can not contain animation such as .obj or .bgeo.sc
jizrik
Thanks,

Yes I'm aware of that alembic can contain the whole animation within one file. But that's not what I'm after.
I have a geometry which is different per frame and I would like to export each frame as a single file, but I'm unable to make it work with alembic ROP. I can do it easily with bgeo… is that some limitation?
willh
jizrik
Thanks,

Yes I'm aware of that alembic can contain the whole animation within one file. But that's not what I'm after.
I have a geometry which is different per frame and I would like to export each frame as a single file, but I'm unable to make it work with alembic ROP. I can do it easily with bgeo… is that some limitation?

There will be no limitations with bgeo that im aware off. Bgeo is the native format in houdini and should retain all attributes you embed in it.

It doesn't contain animation in a single file, but thats not what you are after anyway.

Cheers
anon_user_37409885
You could try to write with a file node or a Rop output driver node.

Alembics used to have problems with any geo not being in the first frame, so individual frames may be abusing the format.
btangonan
I'm having a similar problem with an FBX export. The first frame renders over and over again across the entire frame range.

Any chance this is related?
vusta
just works as far as i can test (abc format)

most obvious question possible to ask is…Valid Frame Range is NOT on Render Current Frame, right ?

Here, simple test, you'll get 24 Teapots.
btangonan
Fair question!

But frame range is set for the whole animation. and ABC format renders perfectly. It's only FBX that renders the first frame 240 times (the frame range of the animation). Very frustrating…
vusta
btangonan
Fair question!

But frame range is set for the whole animation. and ABC format renders perfectly. It's only FBX that renders the first frame 240 times (the frame range of the animation). Very frustrating…
haven't tested FBX yet, sorry.
vusta
just tested FBX, using File node to import is not quite right ? or I could be not using it the right way ?

Anyway, If I go via the Menu File>Import>FBX…then it's right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.