Oceans

3180   5   2
18 posts
When I create a small or large ocean from the shelf, it displays correctly in the viewport. But in the RenderView it is flat, Any suggestions ?
1743 posts
It seems that you have to select the “save_spectra” node, and click “Save to Disk”, though make sure you've saved your HIP file in a reasonable place first, else it'll create a “geo” directory in whatever the current working directory is. The displacement shader is referencing ocean spectrum geometry, and the idea is to generate the spectrum once and cache it out, so that it doesn't need to be regenerated all the time.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
18 posts
ndickson
It seems that you have to select the “save_spectra” node, and click “Save to Disk”, though make sure you've saved your HIP file in a reasonable place first, else it'll create a “geo” directory in whatever the current working directory is. The displacement shader is referencing ocean spectrum geometry, and the idea is to generate the spectrum once and cache it out, so that it doesn't need to be regenerated all the time.

Thank you for your help, it works now !

Cheers
Bjorn
18 posts
Thanks again for your help !
As you probably understand I am completely new to Houdini, just trying to transist from Modo.

I do not seem to find clear information on how to go about connecting a flip-sim (this case a flat-tank) to a
small ocean surface, so that the size off the simulation and particle positions corresponds with the surface of the underlying ocean.

If I create a “Small ocean”, select it, and then go on and create a “Ocean Flat tank” this happens. See att.

Basically I want to be able to create, say a rock in the middle of the ocean, with foam and spray being created around it, but only limited to a certain area. And I want this to be running with a “Small ocean” or “Large ocean” as a driving surface.

Alot of questions here, but as I said, I`m new to Houdini and eager too learn

Thanks again for your patience.
Bjorn
Edited by aados - Feb. 24, 2017 07:10:17

Attachments:
question.jpg (1.0 MB)

18 posts
Nevermind!

Found the solution
41 posts
aados
Nevermind!