Search - User list
Full Version: Linux w/gcc4?
Root » Technical Discussion » Linux w/gcc4?
JColdrick
Bit of a silly-beggar question, but I was going to test install SUSE 10 on a system, when I noticed it uses gcc4(!). I'm not going to risk upgrading a perfectly good Houdini workstation, so I might install at home on an old system. However, can someone from SESI state categorically that Houdini wouldn't work on such a system, or there's a small chance it could work? I'm never totally clear on the whole gcc/glibc thing and which is the highly relevant one.

For the record, it runs:

glibc2.3.5
gcc 4.0.2
lucky 2.6.13 kernel

Also, I notice SUSE still gets the “you gets what you gets” asterix beside it on the distribution page, which I assume means you don't have a system over there and you rely on qualified user feedback re: compatibility, but have you considered adding it to your setup? Those that use it tend to love it, and it has some nice advantages over the RH path. I wouldn't see the point of the 9.x series at this stage(given it works fine), but perhaps starting with v10?

Cheers,

J.C.
Joe
JColdrick
Bit of a silly-beggar question, but I was going to test install SUSE 10 on a system, when I noticed it uses gcc4(!). I'm not going to risk upgrading a perfectly good Houdini workstation, so I might install at home on an old system. However, can someone from SESI state categorically that Houdini wouldn't work on such a system, or there's a small chance it could work? I'm never totally clear on the whole gcc/glibc thing and which is the highly relevant one.
Any gcc 3.4 build should be fully compatible with gcc 4.0 (and vice-versa, actually). Therefore, the Red Hat EL4 build should work for you. (No promises, of course.)

(I would very surprised, though, if Novell had removed gcc 3.3 compatibility altogether. Your other builds might work fine!)
catlee
JColdrick
Also, I notice SUSE still gets the “you gets what you gets” asterix beside it on the distribution page, which I assume means you don't have a system over there and you rely on qualified user feedback re: compatibility, but have you considered adding it to your setup? Those that use it tend to love it, and it has some nice advantages over the RH path. I wouldn't see the point of the 9.x series at this stage(given it works fine), but perhaps starting with v10?

I don't want to turn this into a Linux distribution flamewar or anything…But a bunch of us over here have fallen in love with Debian [debian.org]. The package management is phenomenal, it makes it very easy to keep a system up to date with the latest software out there. The initial install is nowhere near as slick as SuSE's though, I'll admit But once you “get it”, there's no going back.

Kind of like Houdini!
JColdrick
Actually I've been interested in testing it, but not for production. The notion of keeping everything up to date is nirvana for software junkies like myself, but is a major pita for a pipeline. As it is, I'm constantly slapping myself on the wrist for even trying to do things like test SUSE 10, for this very reason. If it ain't broke, etc. It just adds that many more things that could break.

Having said that, I can't imagine having to work day by day with releases like RH7.3(which some big shops are still stuck with!) or even RH9. There's a balance in there somewhere…

I'll be getting back with the SUSE 10 results, hopefully today…

Cheers,

J.C.
Wren
Assuming it works, would that mean you could install the debian 64 version of houdini on suse 10?
JColdrick
In theory, it's possible yes. Depends if those optional rpms that needed to be installed on SUSE 9.3 are available for SUSE 10. Needs a hunt. All conjecture until someone actually tests it, though. Bleeding edge, here.

Haven't gotten around to this today, probably tomorrow…

Cheers,

J.C.
Wren
You could say im sitting at the “ bleeding edge” of my seat waiting to hear the results.
catlee
JColdrick
In theory, it's possible yes. Depends if those optional rpms that needed to be installed on SUSE 9.3 are available for SUSE 10. Needs a hunt. All conjecture until someone actually tests it, though. Bleeding edge, here.

Those optional rpms shouldn't be necessary for SuSE 10 if it's using gcc 4, the libstdc++.so.6 library should be included already.
JColdrick
Duh! You're right! ops:

Cheers,

J.C.
uniqueloginname
houdini works perfectly (from what i can tell) with Suse 10, ive been using them together fairly solidly since 10 was released.

the thing that put me off debian is the ancient packages that are part of the stable release! I like Ubuntu because it takes the good points from debian into a more modern distro - IMO. unfortunately houdini help is broken in ubuntu which is one of the main reasons i went back to Suse. (also cryptoloop makes privacy easy as in suse, non-existant in ubuntu).

cheers
mark
FrankFirsching
Hi Mark!
You can get the houdini help working with ubuntu, but you need to install the tcsh package, which is turned off by default. It took me a while to figure this out, but now Houdini works really well with ubuntu.

Frank
rjpieke
mark2
houdini works perfectly (from what i can tell) with Suse 10, ive been using them together fairly solidly since 10 was released.

I'll second that. And wow do I ever love SUSE10, especially in comparison to RedHat 7.2, the other OS I'm using at the moment.
JColdrick
I'll third that. What surprised me is that I did a straight 10 upgrade, and the RH9 houdini worked out of the box! I would have thought it needed the RHE4 release. Good news with that is that our inhouse .so's don't need recompiling…

Cheers,

J.C.
anon_user_26681023
Hey, any reason you guys going for package driven distributions like suse / debian / redhat etc? We've had good performance with slack here, and I find keeping the boxes up to date are relatively painless as we got dropline-gnome as our desktop distro, which updates frequently to follow the latest releases in gnome… I know slack is a bit old school, but it's simplicity makes it quick to troubleshoot and tweak for performance, and with dropline ontop we don't have to lag too far behind the bleeding edge.
I've tried most of the other distros that seem more popular, but I find them confusing and overly complex once things go south. Perhaps I'm missing something? Is a distro like RH or suse better optimized when it comes to threads / libs etc?

Peter.
JColdrick
I know slack is a bit old school,

That, plus ease of install and hands-off after that, are the reasons on our end. Plunk SUSE in(*way* less crap than RH), spend a little time configuring, and leave it. Add to that all the sexy, useful things that are not only distributed with it, but integrated as well(important), and it's an easy sell my end. I've been screwing with Linux in this biz since the very very first port of Renderman then Houdini(which pre-dated Maya's, despite PR to the contrary), and had my share of meddling with remote login configs, nfs options, and frankly I never wanted to be a sysadmin.

As an example, SUSE 10 comes with the brand spanking new version of svn, which lets us change the method we've been accessing our repository(http - yech), and upgrading that manually involved *so* many upgrades I had simply avoided dealing with it. Also, OO2, integrated with the mail client, and an easily installable gmplayer, and I can look at all those client-forwarded multimedia files.

Also, Beagle looks cool.

I understand you can get all those with slack, but you'll spend a day doing it. Takes 5 minutes for me.

Cheers,

J.C.
Houdini
Mine is Ubuntu Linux 5.10 for AMD64 and Debian 64-bit Linux (sid)* Linux x86_64 gcc3.4.
Working perfact.
ykcosmo
I am under gentoo linux , it works fine too.
Wren
Do you guys recommend installing the OSS version of suse 10 or the eval version?
anon_user_26681023
Hey JC, yup i hear you… slack takes awhile to get up and running in a workable state. Dropline-gnome made it a lot easier tho, comes preconfigured and has most of the apps i need, …gimp, inkscape etc. I'll have to take a second look at suse one of these days… heard lots of good things about it.

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.