Tool Palette Galleries ?

3479   6   3
333 posts
Why is it hidden so much in H16?

Most studios I worked for we somehow used it. was it for sharing rnd things, building modules we didnt want to put in HDAs, or simply having presets for minor things such as transformation alignment etc.

We need more Love for the Tool Palette and galleries. At least sidefx could add a button. Why for example have a button for Shapes and colors when you access them with S and C. Noone is ever going to press those buttons. Why not put the tool palette button there which has no shortcut at all?

please help bring back a button to make it more prominent and accessible for new users.

Thanks.

ps: i already RFE this but sidefx told me the tool palette is not used that much.

Attachments:
toolpaletteequallove.png (93.3 KB)

7759 posts
I too miss this feature. I only discovered its purpose last version.
Edited by jsmack - Feb. 28, 2017 01:20:07
Staff
4438 posts
jsmack
I too miss this feature. I only discovered its purpose last version.

Just to make sure everyone understands, the feature is still there, and you can still assign a hotkey to open it. It just doesn't have a button on the network editor toolbar any more. Perhaps you realized this @jsmack, but it sounded like you were lamenting the loss of the palette itself…
333 posts
Hi Tucker,
I hope there are no plans to remove them in future releases?
idx files cant replace them, the shelf is not an option.

What makes the tool palette so powerful is the type ahead search. For example we just open the tool palette and type in transform to show all transform sop presets. Then we can drag and drop them in the network editor. its much quicker than going thru menus. Additional they show up in the gear menu anyway.

Imagine you have a transform sop you use over and over again, for example where the pivot is always centered. It would be annoying to type in the expression every time. So we have a preset for that and many others nicely labeled and categorized in the tool palette. It can have subcategories, keywords for search and its own icon. Its very powerful, easy to manage and share with each other.

as long as they are still there we dont mind. Its just for new users, very hard to find out about it.

ps: similar situation with the shortcut alt-b. How many users knew about that? Its still there in H16.
7759 posts
I meant the button and hotkey. and I'm too lazy to set hotkeys.
252 posts
We finally have the tool palette button back on H16.5!

Attachments:
tool_palette.png (5.3 KB)

555 posts
but it WAS in 16.0

in Tools>Show Tool Palette

ok, sorry no button/shortcut.
Edited by vusta - Nov. 9, 2017 01:03:52
  • Quick Links