Terrain Generation

8081   13   1
14 posts
New to houdini but not 3d in general. Wondering if im doing something daft but after connecting a heightfield output to the end of my heightfield network I set my filename and output settings and press save to disk nothing is happening, any ideas?
603 posts
No files are written to disk?
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
14 posts
No, checked path and tried various file types. I am using the apprentice version but didnt think export was disabled
14 posts
screenshot of workspace

Attachments:
TerrainCapture.PNG (1.1 MB)

14 posts
the problem seems to be “cook error in input”
Edited by c0nr0y - March 5, 2017 06:01:12

Attachments:
cookerror.PNG (32.7 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
if you middle mouse button on the SOP that has the error it should provide some information
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
14 posts
Yep, my error is “cook error on input:”. Moves up the chain as i bypass nodes right up to the rgb inputs. Leads me to think there is something i need to do to the input nodes but i only have a heightfield and heightfield noise. Do i need to convert in someway before i save the image file?
14 posts
Anybody got any ideas? Just want to export heightmaps like with world machine for example. Dont mind getting the indie version but would like to know it does what i need it to first. Thanks in advance
Staff
3455 posts
ah damn, just looked closer at your image - you have to provide a file extension to your filename…
terrain.exr etc
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
14 posts
Ah, ok will try this too, thanks for your help. Did select one from the drop down menu but guess i have to input it manually?
14 posts
yep, that was it. thought i was missing something simple. Just had to type the file extension at the end of the output file name, thought i was actually setting that in the file browser with the drop down menu. Thanks again arctor
1 posts
Hi,

I am having the same issue. Running Houdini Apprentice non-commercial 16.0.557. Following the Alex Dracott tutorial but when I go to export the height map I get an error inside the operator saying the specified resolution exceeds that allowed in non-commercial versions. Is this correct and do I require an Indie licence?
Thanks
Staff
6160 posts
Correct:

https://www.sidefx.com/filmtv/compare/ [sidefx.com]

Images are limited to 1280x720 (which is what heightfields output as) in Apprentice. You will also get a watermark in your output with Apprentice that will make for an interesting mountain range.
2 posts
Hey everyone!

So I ran into this issue with the heightfield output today and it took a while to realize that it wasn't setting the file extension when you specify the output. Is there any particular reason for not having a list of available output file types to select from when specifying the location and name of the output file? I've never had a program not have that option available that I can recall.

One of the last steps with other terrain programs such as WorldMachine is it allows you to specify the file type before writing to disk, which also brings me to another question actually, is it possible to output raw file types, such as .r16?

Unreal typically yields better results for terrain details when you import as raw files, or at least that's what I've been led to believe for the past few years while working on some large scale landscapes. Are the quality/detail results the same when using PNG or EXR? Thanks!
  • Quick Links