Search - User list
Full Version: RFE: Vertex-Level Edit SOP
Root » Technical Discussion » RFE: Vertex-Level Edit SOP
hoknamahn
If I have a number of polygons with one common point and if I want to “detach” one (or 2-3) vertex of some polygon it will be usefull to have the ability to use Edit SOP on “vertex” level.
Simon
Can't use just use the facet sop to make those points unique first?
hoknamahn
Yes I can't Because I must do Facet SOP and then use Fuse SOP. What if I have to do many similar operations? It's a pain ops: And of course Vertex-Level looks logically near with Point/Edge/…-Level, isn't it?
Simon
Well I can't argue with that. But if you have to do many such operations could you not unique all the points you need in one facet sop? I just can't see Sesi changing to allow vertex edits the whole architexture seems to work around points. I'm still waiting to see the group sop handle edge groups……
Hopefully I'm wrong. :wink:
hoknamahn
No, no, no! Sometimes it's not very comfortable to make ALL points of some faces unique and then weld SOME of them again.

I just can't see Sesi changing to allow vertex edits the whole architexture seems to work around points.
I understand your thought about Houdini's architecture but I'm talking actually about THREE operations:
1. Unfuse selected point (point which contains selected vertex)
2. Move created point (which contains selected vertex) into necessary position
3. Weld other unfused points together.
And it's all in one Edit SOP? Is it a bad idea? :?
Simon
Hmmm, that sounds doable. Sesi?
rafal
Would Vertex Split SOP do the trick?
Simon
I don't think it a question of whether you can do it (there are many ways), but more can it be done more efficiently, in the sense of when you are doing lots of modelling with the edit sop and you need to quickly make a split and open up the mesh. So without leaving the current edit sop.
rafal
RFE Submitted.
hoknamahn
Thanks, rafal!
el_diablo
Has this been implemented? I would love to have this functionality also…
wolfwood
Nope.

I must admit though, I've been doing this exact operation constantly over the past month and while I would like this process to be faster I don't think dumping more features onto the Edit SOP is the way to go.
el_diablo
Well, its kinda hard to use Houdini the same way as other applications for modeling already, and without this kind of ‘mesh opening’ its pretty cubersome. I was just getting excited that Houdini could be pretty darn good modeling program and i hit a brick wall.

And no…using 3 or more sops just to separate fingers is not a way to go.

Sorry about the big image.
Simon
The only easy-ish solution to this at the moment is to make the split between each finger using 2 polysplits close together then do your extrudes and then fuse then points that make up the original splits using a fuse distance that is big enough to snap togther the points from the extra split…. if you see what I mean.. :?
wolfwood
Since I've doing this a lot, the workflow I've ended up with is to have the Fuse SOP bound to a key with unique points set to the default. Then when I'm editting points and I need to move “vertex points” I just select the point, hit Alt+U and then Shift+Q (redo previous operator…the edit sop) the keep on editting. After I'm done moving everything around I just plop down a fuse sop to refuse everything again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.