Search - User list
Full Version: Open BSD memory management?
Root » Technical Discussion » Open BSD memory management?
probbins
Anyone on the list with Open BSD experience who can confirm what I've been hearing about BSD's superior memory management capability?
JColdrick
I think if you're talking from an end-user perspective, you'd be hard-pressed to find any tangible difference in biz-oriented apps between BSD and Linux. I'm not sure it would translate into something profound on the user end. I'm sure endless arguments could ensue here.

If you're comparing to something like Windows, yes, way, way better. Less swapping, far more efficient.

If you're talking from the programming perspective, that I don't know, but there's lots of info on the OBSD website about it, of course.

Cheers,

J.C.
lisux
Well, it depends, what you mean about memory management.
Linux kernels are very flexible and have many options about memory management, so it depends on your kernel config.
But yes many people say thta *BSD OOSS have better memory management, better TCP stack and better stability, but all the BSDs lack in terms of features, linux have much features than BSD, and in my opinion this is the typical flameware discussion.
Look at MAC OSX, it is a BSD, and i dont think that it has better network layer, memory manegement and features than linux, instead i think the linux is better by far.
Only in very specialized distributions like OpenBSD or NetBSD, that are very optimized and focused in server applications i think that you can found differencies in memory, security, etc .. but this OOSS have few features than Linux.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.