Search - User list
Full Version: Order of operation
Root » SI Users » Order of operation
Andi Farhall
Hi all,

coming from life in the simplicity of the op stack or ice tree of soft I'm feeling decidedly uneasy about how it works in Houdini. A simple bit of modelling is clearly very easy, start at the top and work your way down, but how are things being ordered when you have multiple items going in and out of a dopnet? In a rigid body object it has two streams in it, the one generating the data that goes to dops and then the dops fetch data read back in but where is it being told to run this stream first? Also in a dopnet, why does gravity come after the solver? If someone knows how this all fits together I would be grateful for a heads up.

cheers,

A>
jordibares
The DOP context is different (quite a bit actually), it describes behaviours and relationships so the order may or may not be important depending on the operator.

Furthermore, think of it as initial state and then a loop (that may run many time between frames) and how data out becomes the data in on the next loop.

I will suggest you “debug” what is going on by putting Wrangle nodes that count up an index so you can follow up how the tree is being evaluated.

A better analogy than the operator stack in Softimage would be Softimage simulation environment (in the explorer) because truly, before ICE, there was not such thing as a simulation stack right? (if my brain is still working I think this was the case)
Andi Farhall
Thank you Tomas, much obliged for these. Normally I'm pretty good about RTFM but in this instance I thought perhaps some varied responses from soft users might add to a rounder understanding on top of what the manual has to offer.

and thank you Jordi, i like the idea of simple debugging to watch how things respond but I think I've a small way to go yet before I can do that.

cheers,

A
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.