CHOPs - recording mouse and keyboard input

2999   5   1
350 posts
I have a pretty good grasp of using the Beat CHOP (thanks Matt Estela!!) but now I need to figure out how to ‘record’ CHOP input.

So yes, there IS a record CHOP

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/chop/record [www.sidefx.com]

but there seems to be a lack of info on actually using it (note to SESI, please include sample .hip files in documentation)

Don't I need to somehow cache the CHOP info to disk? There is a file CHOP but it doesn't accept any inputs.

Anyone reading this that knows how to properly implement the Record CHOP?
Edited by art3mis - May 23, 2017 16:13:54
2038 posts
I sometimes need to use the keyboard chop to get the “beats” or sync to some part of an audio file when the bandwidth filters are not enough to draw out a workable waveform, or I don't have the seperate voice/instruments tracks to begin with.

I've attached a file that shows my basic set up and I basically use an export node that exports to the channel node ( any node with a parameter textbox will work ).

When I am satisfied with what I have in MotionFX view, I turn off record and switch over to animation view window.

With animation view open, I then select the Chop channel node that has the parameter (the one I exported too). This brings it up in the animation view, and I then select it in scoped parameters.

From there I right click in the animation graph window and select - channels > Export Displayed Channels as…

For my now saved to disk chop channel file.

The set up could probably be simplified, but this is the only way I know how with my current level of Houdini knowledge.
Edited by BabaJ - May 23, 2017 17:04:24

Attachments:
Record Keyboard Chop.hiplc (25.1 KB)

350 posts
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
I notice you don't use the Beat CHOP.

Couldn't you simplify things by simply selecting either the Record or Export CHOPs and choose Save…Data file?
Edited by art3mis - May 23, 2017 18:27:27
2038 posts
No I don't use the beat chop, haven't found it to give results that I like for my purposes. Although it does seem very usefull for something like a dance track where there is a very distinctive beat - I guess I would in such cases for beats at least.

And I guess I could simplify with what you suggested - thanks for that hint.

I was asking here on the forum last year if anyone knew of a way to save out directly from MotionFx, and didn't get a reply. I didn't notice the save option, so I don't know if I missed it or it's something new in H16.

But in any case I just ended up doing it the way I did as in the file I attached, not knowing any better.
7758 posts
channel rop bro
2038 posts
Don't see any “channel rop” available in the chop net.

There is only a rop network available.

But then too, why use a “channel rop” when you can simply just save out to file. No extra nodes required.
  • Quick Links