scaling asset with fur

3423   4   2
260 posts
We have it listed as bug for a long, long time (among others), but nothing new from SideFx.

Anyone figured out how to create fur for one asset and use the same asset with fur at different scale? Like Mother creature and Kid creature.

Every test i did with H16 failed.

If you have 20 exactly the same creatures, with different scale, you cant ask your fur artist to fur it 20 times.
Staff
637 posts
What would be your preferred workflow? Do you want to simulate at the original scale so you can keep the same settings and then just scale for rendering?

This might work for you:

- Keep the Guide Groom exactly the same as the original, i.e. keep the rest skin at original scale etc.
- In Guide Deform, feed in a version of the animated mesh that is scaled back to the original's size.
- Guide Simulate at original scale, so you can have a the same settings for each.
- In Hair Generate, scale the hairs back up using a transform node as last step before the modify subnet's output.

Simulating at real scale is trickier since you'd have to do all you scaling in locked parts of guide deform and hairgen.

This should be easier of course, so I'll make sure you can parent any part of the pipeline in the next point release. It might be possible to backport to a daily build as well, I'll let you know.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
260 posts
Thank you Kai.
I didn't get to simulating as I was not able to render different scales successfully.

Couple scenarios for scaling. No simulation needed for now:

For all scenarios animation comes from Maya via alembic at 100 scale (Maya in cm, houdini in m). So first thing we do with all assets is to scale them 0.01 to get physically correct scale in Houdini.

Asset is groomed at double the physical scale (as some tools don't work on physically correct scale - symmetry for example). After groom we want to render at physical correct scale so we have to scale down the fur.

Multiple instances (again exported from maya) of the same asset at different scale - ie family of creatures including kids ( yes, I know kids have different anatomy, but for test lets say they have all identical mesh).

I was not able to achieve same render results for different scales. Mainly for example one.

Unable to scale furred assets makes H16 for us unusable as this is the show stopper.
Edited by martinkindl83 - June 18, 2017 20:09:26
260 posts
assuming noone has solution sofar?
260 posts
still no feedback on this one?
How others are able to work with fur and scale.

Lets say you want to have beaver family with two adults and two kids. I really dont like idea of furring 4 independent characters if i can fur just one and scale it up/down inside exporting package to represent adults and babies.
  • Quick Links