Search - User list
Full Version: FLIP Waterline Trouble
Root » Technical Discussion » FLIP Waterline Trouble
ikatz001
Hi all,

I am using the new waterline feature in flips in H16. It is working fine at first, but I tried to key the waterline to move up during the simulation and it seems to have no effect. The particles still escape even though they are below the waterline. The simulation only respects the initial waterline level and does not move dynamically as its keyed. 

Is this normal behavior? Any idea what might be causing this and how to properly move the waterline as the simulation advances?

Many Thanks.
rgoldade
Hi,

Can you post the .hip file? I wasn't able to recreate your problem.

To test I set up a scene with a FLIP Tank, an emitter and a keyframed waterline. In this example, the water level rose in accordance with the waterline plane.

Ryan
ikatz001
Hi Ryan,

I wasnt referring to the waterline not rising. I didint test that as I dont have reseeding particles on.

I am referring to the water being able to escape above the waterline, while being constrained inside the tank below the waterline.

To recreate the problem is very simple - just create a crown splash set up from the shelf, then just key the waterline going up. You will see even after the waterline has gone up the particles can still escape the tank - which shouldnt be the case.

I was told by support that they confirmed the issue, are you able to provide a solution?
huan80
I know this is a super late response, but I was looking into the same issue and I figured I should post my solution for posterity:
If you view the dependencies on the waterline parameter on the flip solver, you'll get a big list of parameters that are being driven by it inside the solver. It's a bit tedious, but if you go to each linked parameter and change the drop down to the left from Use Default to Set Always the waterline will update throughout the sim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.