Car dust trail

6762   3   0
90 posts
Hello,

I would like to do a car trail dust effect. I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm guessing it will involve particles driving the smoke sim? is it possible to use grain solver? If someone could give me high level concepts I need to research, or even keywords to look up to get me started, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

video at 0:16 and 0:49 shows desired effect.

Edited by uuLLFA - July 5, 2017 12:39:10
7747 posts
Looks like a job for a pretty standard smoke simulation. Use either the pyro solver or smoke solver. The only problem is dealing with impossibly large simulation grids. Since the source is moving rapidly and covering a lot of ground, the simulation bounds will quickly grow beyond size that is possible to simulate. A possible solution is to use clustered smoke simulations. There are many favored methods for producing the clusters, however there was recently added a shelf tool called “smoke trail” which illustrates the basic premise well, so you can develop your own solution that is more specific to your needs.
Edited by jsmack - July 5, 2017 13:07:39
90 posts
Thanks jsmack! Another thing I forgot about is the tire tracks on the ground. How do you recommend me approaching it?
35 posts
Place a line beneath the tire then trail the line and skin it.
  • Quick Links