Houdini FX for Laptop

3360   5   1
3 posts
Hi guys, I'm a noobie on FX but I work like sets and props for a advertising agency.

I'm looking a laptop to begin learn Houdini and I will buy the MSI GS73…

What is your opinion?

I can work with this laptop in Houdini?
2534 posts
It should work fine as a starter rig for Houdini. If you start building a lot of fluid or pyro sims you may feel a bit confined only having 16Gb or ram. Ideally 32Gb is a good place to start. Also it would be nice if that 5400 rpm hard drive was running at 7200rpm instead. Because it will probably become your storage area for sims you want it to scrub as fast as possible.

If having a laptop is just a benefit and not a requirement you can get a more powerful desktop machine for around the same price.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/477490/G710_Desktop_Computer?ob=1 [www.microcenter.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
3 posts
Thanks you so much.

I choose a laptop because i going to travell a lot and i need mobility
30 posts
For learning purposes (e.g. Rocket Ship tutorial, now the Learned Squared Greeble tutorial) I am doing fine with an Early 2015 11 inch Macbook Air - only 4G of RAM, and Intel HD 6000 graphics card. Had no problems with H15 or H16.
10 posts
Hello Jorge, I am studying Houdini since the beginning of the year. I have a MSI machine too, the laptop is good for playing with Houdini but there comes a point where you need more, especially if you want to do projects with some complexity or heavy simulations.

But, yes it works for learn and practice and sometimes do projects with non complex things.
3 posts
Thank you so much guys
  • Quick Links