Handling Large Volumes

5216   9   2
216 posts
Hi,

I have a box converted to a volume. Using a volume vop and noise I made some clouds. Here is the problem, I want a lot of clouds. So i go to my original box and scale it up. Since i scaled my box now i need to increase resolution. However, I cant increase the resolution high enough to get the clouds looking good when they are near the camera. I would need a ridiculously high amount of voxels to do that. Even 58 million voxels isn't high enough. Here is what I dont understand, I can do a similar thing in Maya. I can make non-dynamic texture based clouds. Here is what I like about Maya: When doing texture based clouds, I can use low resolution (small amount of voxels) but still get high quality clouds because the opacity of the volume is being textured by a high quality noise pattern. Look at the 2 viewport photos. Both the high resolution and low resolution (bottom two photos) produce basically the same render (top photo). How can I do some thing like that in houdini? In houdini, it seems like the resolution of the noise is dependent on the voxel resolution, where as in maya I can have low voxel resolution, but high quality noise and get good render. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments:
2.JPG (73.3 KB)
3.JPG (46.7 KB)
1.JPG (107.7 KB)

Thanks,

Evan
1391 posts
Hi

Seems like Maya apply this noise in rendering time on the pixels ,not actual voxels (for final render not viewport).
So it's independent to voxel size.

For doing that inside Houdini you can use CVEX. Just assign a procedural shader to your volume and apply your noise to density inside CVEX. in this case your noise should be independent to voxel size and resolution.

Also for watching your noise inside viewport you can apply same noise in the SOP Level via Volume SOP.But exactly like Maya your viewport version is dependent to Voxels.
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
216 posts
I will take a look at this although I have no clue what cvex is. Thank1!
Edited by evanrudefx - July 19, 2017 13:24:15
Thanks,

Evan
1391 posts
In simple word ,You can change some data of geometries in rendertime with CVEX before start rendering ,for example changing parameters of FUR via adding some noise or changing position of points or even density of volumes.
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1391 posts
I made a simple setup for you

Attachments:
JKCVEX_Cloud.hip.zip (77.8 KB)

Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
216 posts
Hey,

Thanks so much, you'll never know how much the scene file helped
Thanks,

Evan
5 posts
Sadjad, thanks for your scene, but I have a small question. Is there any particular reason you can't do all this stuff directly inside /mat/cloud instead of /shop/Cloud_Noise_CVEX? I just tried it briefly, and it seems to be working. I used global surface P for driving noise pos.
1 posts
I wonder if this setup work with redshift?
146 posts
I don't think RS supports anything other than density for volumes - there doesn't seem to be any way to use textures. (boo) … I'd love to hear if I'm wrong
11 posts
As of now it does not, but I have been told they are working on it.
  • Quick Links