Help getting RBD Glue Object collision scene to work properly

918   0   0
4 posts
Hey all,

I've spent countless hours over the last few days trying to get this scene to work correctly.
The idea is a simple collision between some spheres and a fractured creature object. I've attached an illustration just to be absolutely clear as to what my goal is. I'm just trying to get the sphere to hit certain parts of the fractured object and have pieces of it fly out. Think of throwing a fast steel ball at a 6ft tall stone statue how pieces would break apart and fly away. The blue arrows represent the direction you'd expect the fractured pieces to fly and the blue bits represent the fractured pieces.
I've tried tweaking all the usual parameters(in glue constraint, physical tabs, sub steps, convex hull vs concave etc.) but I get either 1.) it all breaks apart 2.) A small breakage with the parts refusing to settle in their places, sometimes popping out unnaturally after a second or so 3.) other various unnatural looking results.
I attached the .hip file as well along with the creature bgeo. Could someone kindly take a look and see if you can get some decent results or give some advice as to how to go about doing this correctly? Maybe I'm overlooking something or taking the wrong approach.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Attachments:
houdinifracture_illustration.jpg (101.4 KB)
simplefracture_RBDGlue_sphereandcreature_help.hip (353.4 KB)
creature_fractured_wpointandedgeattributes_intermediate3.bgeo (12.8 MB)

• Quick Links