I don't understand curve orient on copy sop

2338   2   2
20 posts

I want apply copy sop for line. (RED)
But used curve sop, It is applied as an unrecognized reference point. (BLUE)

I think it is an error on the base point, but I have never seen the property or setting the base point on the curve.
Is there a workaround or vex for this?
Edited by Dsharp K - July 29, 2017 14:05:06

Attachments:
orient_curve_copy.hipnc (83.1 KB)

Staff
4159 posts
The Copy SOP aligns the objects along Z, and you'll want the objects to be at origin as well, so they are copied ont the point. In your line sop, set the Direction to 0,0,1, that will align the red lines along the box default normals. Your curve that you've drawn is being copied properly, but it's hard to tell what you're trying to get, since the curve isn't at origin, nor is it Z-aligned.

To give them a direction to copy along, add N (normals) to your box. If you set N to 0,1,0, everything will be aligned upward. (first picture). Also, you can randomize N, and even add pscale to randomize the size (second picture). There are many more attributes [www.sidefx.com] which give you more control when copying objects to points, but just using N and having your objects Z-aligned and at origin is very common.

Hope that helps!

Attachments:
screenshot-area-2017-07-29-235423.png (193.6 KB)
screenshot-area-2017-07-29-235327.png (226.6 KB)
orient_curve_copy__modified.hipnc (265.9 KB)

I'm o.d.d.
20 posts
goldleaf
The Copy SOP aligns the objects along Z, and you'll want the objects to be at origin as well, so they are copied ont the point. In your line sop, set the Direction to 0,0,1, that will align the red lines along the box default normals. Your curve that you've drawn is being copied properly, but it's hard to tell what you're trying to get, since the curve isn't at origin, nor is it Z-aligned.

Oh god.. I'm stupid
Thanks to you, I solved a problem I had not known for a long time.

I did not know it until now on origin is 0,0,0.
Want result created on used simple vex.

Solved! Thanks!

Attachments:
1.PNG (210.8 KB)

• Quick Links