invoking renderman 12.5

2551   2   1
6 posts
Hi ,

I'm using renderman 12.5 with maya windows . Now i want to invoke renderman shaders within houdini 8 . How i do ? Is it possible to do the same nodes connection network as with slim palettes inside vops. Can i transfer the shaders written with slim into houdini ? I will appreciate your help .

Thanks
Regards
4140 posts
How i do ?

It's all builit into Houdini(but not the Apprentice version). The RSL VOP network lets you build renderman shaders similar to the way Slim works. Use the Rman Render Output Operator. Search the help for Renderman.

Slim works in a similar method as Maya's hypershader(or whatever the hell they xcall it ) in that everything by default is buried away in sub-windows, you're constantly going up/down. The RSL VOP network is more all there in front of you.

Can i transfer the shaders written with slim into houdini ?

Nope, sorry.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
6 posts
It is possible, if the question is about .slo, instead of slim template.

When in Slim you click on render icon in folder E:\Documents and Settings\…\ …\rat\default\rmanshader the pair .sl and .slo, for example, may_shader.sl and may_shader.slo is saved.
In Houdini it is possible to open them having created Generic surface, in SHOP.
Adjustment of parameters in Slim.

Also it is possible to create from yours shaders .otl:

1. We put the .slo in a folder “ri_shaders”
(the folder ri_shaders is created at installation RManDisplay in proto_install).

2. We come into this folder and we carry out a command:

rmands -L may_shader.otl may_shader.slo

It is created .otl which it is installed in Houdini: file-> install operator type library
In SHOP, in the menu there is a new operator.

Though it is necessary to take into account what not all shaders created in Slim work in Houdini.
  • Quick Links