H16 FlipFluid to phoenixFD 3ds max

3677   7   1
8 posts
Hello

First of all, awesome software… i mean… holy crap, i was working for long time with 3ds max and all its plugin mess.
Houdini is just like another world with a huge amount of freedom and all in one box.
Respect to all the devs!

Now to my problem.
Since there is no vray integration,at least till now, i search for the possibility to get fluids i simulated in houdini to phoenix fd inside 3ds max 2017.
I like mantra and i know it is good but im so used to vray that i just wont change to another engine and learn everything again. Even more that i know that theres something going on at chaos group to release a vray for houdini.
Till then, i would like to use a workaround with (i guess) .vdb

I get pyro simulations to work in phoenix but no flip fluids so far.

How do i export correctly a fluid sim to vdb?

Thanks in advance!
8 posts
No one?
123 posts
Have you tried Alembic? You want to export the Mesh and particles?

You can try “Rop Alembic Output” to export Alembic.
16 posts
Hi,
we also just switched to Houdini, but the Pipeline, at our Company, is build on max(vray), so we im-/export stuff all the time.

Here are some working possibilities, we used so far:

- Fluid-Meshes as Alembic via Vray Proxy-Loader (tick motionblur on the houdini geo-network, where you export from).

- Whitewater-Particles as Prt via Krakatoa (gave me a very nice look for the splashes,foam,etc!)

- Volumes (like Pyro, maybe also whitewater) as vdb via Vray VolumeGrid.

There's no need for Phoenix, i think, vray has all the Containers build in.

Hope it helped
8 posts
Eilef Sandnæs
Have you tried Alembic? You want to export the Mesh and particles?

You can try “Rop Alembic Output” to export Alembic.
Hey, thank you for your help!
Alembic worked fine to export and import the Fluid Mesh. This works for what i need so far. Im still curious if there is a way to export FLIP fluids particles from Houdini and import them into Phoenix FD in 3ds max for further tweaking?
8 posts
unex
Hi,
we also just switched to Houdini, but the Pipeline, at our Company, is build on max(vray), so we im-/export stuff all the time.

Here are some working possibilities, we used so far:

- Fluid-Meshes as Alembic via Vray Proxy-Loader (tick motionblur on the houdini geo-network, where you export from).

- Whitewater-Particles as Prt via Krakatoa (gave me a very nice look for the splashes,foam,etc!)

- Volumes (like Pyro, maybe also whitewater) as vdb via Vray VolumeGrid.

There's no need for Phoenix, i think, vray has all the Containers build in.

Hope it helped
Thank you very much!
16 posts
If you want to use pure particles in max, for pflow or krakatoa, you can use this prt exporter rop:

https://www.flipswitchingmonkey.com/houdini-prt-rop/ [www.flipswitchingmonkey.com]

Furthermore if you save particles as alembic it gives you also point informations but you are limited in modifing them.
I used this for a grain simulation and let the vray proxy-loader draw spheres at rendertime (you can also render as points right away).

cheers
8 posts
unex
If you want to use pure particles in max, for pflow or krakatoa, you can use this prt exporter rop:

https://www.flipswitchingmonkey.com/houdini-prt-rop/ [www.flipswitchingmonkey.com]

Furthermore if you save particles as alembic it gives you also point informations but you are limited in modifing them.
I used this for a grain simulation and let the vray proxy-loader draw spheres at rendertime (you can also render as points right away).

cheers
Wow thank you very much, i`ll give this definitely a try!
  • Quick Links