Multiple UVsets on same geometry / or multiple UV scales

6946   10   2
25 posts
I have a layered shader, where say the material inputs have a UV scale of x20 for example, and the masks between the different layers have a UV scale of x1.

In Maya, you could simply adjust that on the UV node attached to the texture maps.

How do I do this in Houdini?
25 posts
Alright. I think I have figured out a solution:

Using the layer node allows you to add UV sets to a geometry, that you later than pull in using the shading layer parameter node. This should work not just for UVs but also for colours and alpha channel values.
7737 posts
The uvtransform node allows you to modify the existing uv from your geometry, so you don't need to add duplicate uv layers. Connect the original uv (shading layer parameter set to uv or a uv coords node) and modify scale, rotation, translate; connect the modified uv to either a surface color or texture node to read your texture in the modified space, and connect the color output of the texture to the desired input of the principled shader/layer mix alpha/etc. This is fairly similar to the “placed 2D texture” workflow in maya.
217 posts
Hi all,
exactly what I need but what I'm doing wrong?
1) no texture reacts on my first “uvtexture” after “layer1”
2) strange normals while rendering. I can't get sharp edges.
Thanks for any help.
Detlef

Attachments:
multiTexture01.hip (1.3 MB)

7737 posts
  1. I can't replicate this behavior.
  2. The normal sop does not respect the ‘currentlayer’ set by the layer sop, so it creates a regular ‘N’ normal attribute, while mantra is looking for ‘N2’ because ‘currentlayer’ is 2. Either rename ‘N’ to ‘N2’, or use a layer sop to switch back to layer one before applying the normals.
  3. The layer sop should be avoided for now, since newer tool tend to ignore it, while older ones may behave unexpectedly if you forget to revert to the bottom layer. It is part of an older workflow that is probably on the chopping block soon. To create alternate uv sets, you can use the attribute rename sop to rename the set called ‘uv’ so that another tool can create a new set called ‘uv’. The attribute swap can be used to swap the values.
217 posts
OK… don't know that layer-SOPs are old…
Thanks for that tip

Detlef
217 posts
It seem as if I am the stupiest person on earth, ha, ha, ha.

Sop level:
2 “uvtexture” with different types followed by “attribute rename” so I have 2 different attr-names

mat level:
try to bind the two attributes - no chance

Where is the error in my head?

Detlef

Attachments:
multiTexture02.hip (1.3 MB)

7737 posts
Check your connections. The ‘bound’ state is connected to the uv input, rather than the value.
217 posts
Hi, sorry wasting your time but I don't understand what you mean.
Can anyone show me how to combine two UVs with two textures in one material without layer?
Thanks a lot

Detlef
1 posts
Same problem here… I have two different objects textured with different textures. Then I merge both meshes together, create a second UV set for the combined object. And what should I do next to bake both textures into a single one for the combined object?
8514 posts
fondemzel
Same problem here… I have two different objects textured with different textures. Then I merge both meshes together, create a second UV set for the combined object. And what should I do next to bake both textures into a single one for the combined object?

rather than creating another UV set just offset existing uvs to different UDIM per original object, and just rename your textures to contain corresponding UDIM in the name, then you can use single material and each piece of your merged geo will pick up its original textures if that's what you are after
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links