Search - User list
Full Version: Optimized Numpy python module for Houdini on Windows (Updated)
Root » Houdini Lounge » Optimized Numpy python module for Houdini on Windows (Updated)
svenkr
During some of my latest Python adventures with Houdini, I realized that the Numpy module included with Houdini on Windows is not optimized. Larger operations like e.g. Matrix multiplications can take a lot of time, dependent on size.

I have therefore compiled an optimized Version for Windows (compatible with Houdini) and attached it to this post.
It's based on Numpy v1.13.3 and OpenBLAS v0.2.20(Multithreaded).
Provided “AS IS”. No warranty, no liability.

Hope it helps some folks on Windows - I did run some Numpy test scripts, but did not test it thoroughly; seems to work quite fast

Please copy the “numpy” folder to your Houdini installation at:

C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini <version>\python27\lib

This way you do not have to overwrite/remove your standard numpy package from your Houdini installation, because the
above path is looked at first, before the standard Houdini package.

=> There are no crashes / errors in the numerical parts of the full Numpy testsuite !
However, I had some other errors, which should not be relevant for use in Houdini. Use at your own risk…
(- I also had errors with the full tests with the standard native installation of Numpy 1.13.3 on Windows/Python2.7
(via pip install) and with the un-optimzed Numpy version v1.9.2 running in hython / Houdini on Windows, btw.)

Thanks for any feedback about your tests - Cheers
svenkr
I have updated the optimized Numpy module in my previous post (“Numpy_1.13.3_Windows_Optimzed.zip”) with a new version:
“Numpy_1.13.3_Windows_Optimzed_New.zip”

The old version had a crash/error during numerical tests. The new one works correct now in the numerical parts of the full Numpy testsuite.

If you downloaded it before, please re-download & replace it with the new version.
marsemd
Wow! I don't even know how to express my gratitude!
dankray
does it work with 17.5?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.