Redshift environment lighting

6167   2   1
143 posts
Hi, I've started learning redshift, since my main area of activity is architectural visualisation and I found Mantra to be quite slow for interior rendering.
What I currently can't seem to get working, is Indirect environment lighting and portal lights.
I started off with a Houdini Environment Light (probably not the best choice, to use a dome light for interior lighting), placed Portals in my windows and everything worked relatively nicely, but when I tried to substitute the likely inefficient Dome light with an environment material, I'm getting no light in my scene whatsoever.

Could someone post a working scene with indirect lighting and portals in Redshift for me to dissect? Or explain to me in laymans term, step by step, how to get a working Indirect lighting setup with portal lights?

Also, I seem to be unable to change the sizes of the portal lights, unless I unlock the RS portal light asset and change the sizes of the grid geometry inside the asset, which seems weird to me. Also, why are there 2 grid meshes inside the portal light asset?

Thanks in advance.
123 posts
If you post this in the Redshift forum Juanjo Gonzalez who is doing the Houdini intergation will probably help you out
Edited by Heileif - Dec. 4, 2017 20:50:49
143 posts
Eilef Sandnæs
If you post this in the Redshift forum Juanjo Gonzalez who is doing the Houdini intergation will probably help you out

Thanks, I'll do that.
  • Quick Links