Where should Houdini Digital Assets be stored in OSX?

3084   6   0
340 posts
I can create digital assets and save them in Houdini Indie, and they have a hdalc (not old otl) extension. I can import them using file>Import>Houdini Digital Asset, but they do not show up as an option in the network view. How do I change the path so that they show up in the network view? Thanks.
Staff
3455 posts
are they Object HDAs or SOP HDAs?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
340 posts
I think they are object HDA (see original houdini file that I can right click the subnet to save as assset). I have been saving them as “Macintosh HD/Users/isleofgough/Documents/Houdini/chair.hdalc”. As mentioned, I can open them by “file>Import>Houdini digital asset” but not through network view.

Attachments:
Chair.hiplc (245.1 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
if you do Assets > Asset Manager, then open up the Operator Type Libraries section, then the Current Hip file Section, then the Embedded section you'll see a Type called Driver/ifd in red - this is bad - right click that one and select Delete.

As for your Chair - you don't have an HDA - all you've done is alter the appearance of the default Geometry Type.
to make an HDA, in this case, select the Chair Object, SHIFT+C to make it a subnet, RMB on it and select Create Digital Asset.
a Type Properties window will pop up - THIS is where you make your user controls.

HTH
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
340 posts
You are right that I have a type called Driver/ifd in red. I deleted it. Just out of curiousity, how did that get created? Should I just use the default location when I create another digital asset?

The file I attached above was the original Houdini file, not the digital asset. In that file, I could right click the subnet called “chair” and Create Digital Asset. I saved the Houdini file before, not after doing this, so that I would still have original Houdini file. On my HD, I have one file called “chair.hiplc” and another in the same directory called “chair.hdalc”
Staff
3455 posts
you should be able to do > Assets > Install Asset Library and select the .hdalc on disk
once it's installed do:
Assets > Asset Manager, then open up the Operator Type Libraries section, then the Current Hip file Section
you should see it there.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
340 posts
Thank you!
  • Quick Links