Crashing on Remesh

4293   1   1
6 posts
Hey Guys,

I'm running Houdini Apprentice 16.0.504 on a mid 2015 macbook pro. I'm currently doing the Houdini Procedural Cities tutorial from Pluralsight.

I'm fairly far through the tutorial (about 85%). I have a second where I have to put down a box node, a delete node a remesh node and several others. The box is connected to a null which is connected to an object merge.

The city map (the object merge) is fairly big! When I set the remesh node to 25 or under (I believe the default is 0.2) Houdini hangs and crashes. I assume my mac-book-pro can't handle that large-of a box. 30 upwards and Houdini doesn't crash.

Is there a way I can remesh a remesh? Or a way to stop it crashing and have the same values that the tutorial uses?

To give you some idea, I've attached two screenshots: one is of the whole ‘city map’ and a (pretty much invisible) default box. The other is zoomed in so the box is visible - to give an idea of scale!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 7.34.29 PM.png (1.1 MB)
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 7.33.51 PM.png (1.2 MB)

6 posts
A solution I found is to remesh using a floating value. Putting x.5 stops it crashing…odd but it works!
  • Quick Links