How to make background image stay registered

2576   6   0
125 posts
This is kind of making me nuts.

I have a background image in the viewport of a perspective view (camera) and I have my geometry aligned to it.
One would think that if doing a preview that the background image would stay in the same place, however it does not.
When doing a preview the background seems to want to scale in a way that does not preserve the aspect ratio and in my case seems to be trying to fit the width to the width of the viewport.

According to the docs there is an option in the viewport tab to switch the scaling from horizontal to vertical. Maybe this would fix it, but I cant find it.

Would anyone have any suggestions for how to stick a background image in place and be able to do previews over it?

I am sure I am missing something but the whole thing seems really fiddly.
7737 posts
What do you mean by ‘a preview’?
125 posts
apologies to everyone for that being as much of a whine as a question

I should have said when doing a render region instead of preview.

The image displays fine in the viewport and I am using that to align my geometry.
However when doing a render region the background image becomes stretched horizontally within the region area. My geometry renders as expected.

I suspect the image is being scaled to fit some area/dimension but I cant figure out what that is or where to turn it off.

Taking a fresh start this morning and now I cant get a background image to show up in the render region at all.

The best and a suitable solution I have found is to just put a plane into the scene and map the image onto it and be done with it.

I am sure I must be missing something obvious here.
Attachment Not Found
Edited by jeffMc - Jan. 16, 2018 09:33:26
125 posts
forgot the image showing my cam and viewport settings

Attachments:
background1.jpg (113.6 KB)

Staff
5156 posts
RMB click on the preview area and toggle on “Blend with Viewport”.
125 posts
thank you twod.

I feel like a dunce for missing that.

Also somehow today the background image is not stretching in the Render Region.
Glad to be a happy camper.
Staff
5156 posts
No worries, it's not exactly an obvious option
  • Quick Links