PATTERNS IN BASE COLOR

1276   1   0
125 posts
Hi everyone and everybody

I've been struggling to understand what is happening in this simple shader issue?

As demonstrated in the attached hip, I have a pattern (stripes), when connected to geometry it behaves correctly giving me patterns in the render. Then I have a simple principled shader with no modification, as expected, I can test that the point color is multiplied by the base color, fine.

BUT

when I plug my stripes in the base color (diff) oups, I'm back with my black and white stripes, it seems that it is not multiplied againts point color anymore…

Probably my profound missunderstanding of how it works, so any clue on how to make this work will be appreciated.

THANKS

p.s. Just tried to plug a color constant in the base color, same behaviour, disparition of the point color info!!!
Edited by NAHASSIA - Jan. 16, 2018 09:34:14

Attachments:
pattern_to base_color.hip (521.2 KB)

7759 posts
yes, that's unfortunately to be expected, due to the way nested shader calls work. To workaround, use a surface color node outside your principled shader to pick up point color first, and plug the pattern into the base color of the surface color vop. Then take this final base color and connect it to the base color input of the material node (principled shader).

Attachments:
surface_color.PNG (39.3 KB)

• Quick Links