Volatile Navigation Confusion

1390   2   0
679 posts
Hey Everybody,

I find the navigation shortcut behaviour of Houdini quite strange.
it uses both alt and space to enter volatile camera navigation in the viewport. sometimes only commands get executed when you use the space bar.
the problem is that I want it only to use the alt key as I want the space bar to do something else. as soon as I remove space as a shortcut for “volatile view operation” the alt key isn't working either. but you cannot assign the alt key to this command. it's somehow hidden from the user.
I think this behaviour is annoying and cumbersome.

my suggestion:
let the user give shortcuts to the navigation tools as they like.
pan, dolly, orbit could become alt+MMB, alt+RMB, alt+LMB or S+LMB, A+LMB, D+LMB or whatever.
this way it would be clear and not as confusing as it is atm.

maybe I'm missing the right way to do it.
could somebody give me a hint how to reassign the space key and still be able to navigate with the alt-key?

Cheers
CYTE

edit:
ok, i found a way. by assigning “volatile view operation” to some key I don't care about I get alt key working for navigation again. now space can be something else. but still, custom navigation key bindings would be really great.
Edited by CYTE - Jan. 18, 2018 12:03:56
11 posts
This is still a problem in 2022!
Houdini should just put Alt under Volatile View Operation, so people can change it, not this hidden mechanism
---------------------------------------------------
620 posts
Agree, the volatile key is the source of bug because viewer state switch to other temp state when tap the key. Only alow volatile key in transient pressing mode rather than tap to switch mode will more reasonable.
  • Quick Links