Search - User list
Full Version: Proper Way to use POP for Pyro FX?
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Proper Way to use POP for Pyro FX?
huey_yeng
Hi I'm still new to Houdini and I'm having issue with this problem that I highlighted in the following GIF.

I wonder if my method of emitting the particles are the right way (yes the particle life and amount are very little and feels like I'm doing it wrong!).

I try fiddling with the all three scale values in the Source Volume nodes but I can't seem to find a solution in getting rid of the leftover smoke at the emitter.

Nothing fancy with the setup as I create the particle emitter and apply the Pyro FX Flames shelf tool and slowly adjusting from there with not extra nodes.
huey_yeng
Looks like I solve the issue by reworking how the particles emitted (still with a very short lifespan of 0.09 haha) and bumping up the Dissipation in the Shape tab in Pyro Solver to quickly get rid of the any possible lingering smoke at the emitter.

While not that surprise, the grid division size and max substeps does affect the look of the explosion and I'm happy with the max substeps of 10 but the sim time is pretty long but doable on my workstation.

Still I wonder if others can share their wisdom when using POP for Pyro FX.

I did adjust the Sample Distance value in the Stamp Points tab under Scalar Volumes (Fluid Source node) to give more volume to the particles? Not sure if that is one of the approach as I noticed there is the Scale Source Volume in the Source Volume node within the DOP network that works similarly?
huey_yeng
After digging up various threads and the documentations, I figure out how to control the look of the POP particles for use in Pyro FX.

Just like in the GIF (sorry for the huge 1.4MB for those on 14.4/33.6/56.6Kbps internet speed!), the Sample Distance and Point Sample Threshold under the Stamp Point tabs in Fluid Source node affects the overall look of the Pyro explosion.

Here's a screencap of the settings.

The setup in the GIF was straightforward. Create a popnet particles and apply the Explosion shelf tool on it. From there, I tweak the buoyancy and timescale so it doesn't grow too big for the purpose of the demo.

The only variables that I alter in the GIF are the Sample Distance and Point Sample Threshold.

Hopefully this is useful for other Houdini newbie or those who have experience with using Pflow for FumeFX in 3ds Max like me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.