Search - User list
Full Version: Question... vex debugging
Root » Technical Discussion » Question... vex debugging
asmischney
Hello!
I am in the process of learning vex, things are going fine but I miss having a proper debugger and resorting to prints is a pain, and made more painful by something I can’t get my head around:

So I make a grid and set it to points, it’s a 10x10 grid so i have 100 points.
I now add a wrangle leave it at running over “points”
in the window I put:

printf(“hello”);

now as I understand it, the wrangle will be executing on ever point by default, so I expect to get 100 “hello” printed in my console, but I get only one.

I change the code to:

printf(“%p\n”, @P);

voila, I get 100 prints in my console, one for each point (as expected)
Is there a reason for this behavior? I am sure it is this way for a reason. It has been making my debugging efforts a bit hairy.
So far I am seeing a lot I like, just running into some idiosyncratic corners all mature software possesses.
Thanks much.
BabaJ
Hopefully I'm not wrong or misleading you and maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

But How I see it is that your printf with @P is directly related to the points ( each point has a position ).

So it will print out each one.

However, your printf for “hello” is not ‘linked’ or related to the points at all, so it ‘sees’ it as a seperate entity and only prints it once.

Other options for debugging are to set your wrangle to detail(once only). Of course that won't help if your needing to ‘examine’ your setup as is in run over mode.

You could also create extra attributes with @ to check results/tests and these will show up in geometry spreadsheet, and within geometry spreadsheet you can set up filters if you have too much data to look through.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.