Search - User list
Full Version: Gas Stove Simulation
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Gas Stove Simulation
jasonsm
Hey there, I'm trying to simulate flames like the ones that come out of a gas burner on a stove and I'm running into issues getting my pyro to interact with my collision object. It seems like I'm missing something fairly basic here but I can't figure out what it is. I attached the scene file if anyone wants to take a look. Thanks!
Enivob
You may want to construct the pyro source directly from the boolean hole cutter that you used to make burner from. Basically kick out the front group from the polyextrude and use a delete to isolate that new face. Use that ring of faces for generating your fuel.

When constructing your collision object you will want to de-couple the VDB resolution of the collision object from the pyro simulation itself. This is a bad default IMHO. By lowering your VDB resolution you can insure your holes will be more accurately represented as collision surfaces that pyro can detect.
jasonsm
Thanks so much for your reply. So I'm a little unclear on the difference in usage between the collision source and the vdb from polygon nodes in this instance. Both seem to be creating vdb's, correct? So why use the collision source node instead.

Also, in the dop network, is sourcing the collision as a volume not necessary because it's not moving? I noticed in your example it was brought in as a static object.

Thanks very much for your example and feedback!
Enivob
Correct, they are both creating VDBs. One way is the new way and the other is the old way. The new way is generated by the shelf tools under the Collision tab. I choose Static because the collision object is not deforming or animated. If I decide to animate it later, I can just activate that one checkbox and not have to revisit the shelf tool creation step again.

The shelf tool also puts down a FileCache node which is why I use this method. To get the best quality out of a VDB might take some time to calculate. If you take the time to write that geometry to the disk you will notice an improved performance once you click the checkbox to Load From Disk.

Instead of sourcing the collision I just let the staticsolver handle any collision. I have tried a few times to source volumes for collision but I have never been able to get that to work yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.