1050 TI Suitability

3993   3   0
3 posts
Hello,

I'm putting together a computer for Houdini. I have nearly all the components other than the GPU. I was initially looking at a 1070 TI, however they seem hard to get a hold of now and prices everywhere seem inflated.

I was thinking of picking up a 1050 TI to start with and upgrading down the line. I noticed the 1050 isn't listed as a supported card.

Is anyone else using this card and how suitable is it for Houdini?

I'm starting out and just need something I can lean Houdini on. I won't be using it for production or anything just some personal projects.
98 posts
GTX 1050 Ti is working well here with Houdini 16, at least for basic tasks like OpenGl display. Older 750 worked well too. However when it comes to GPU computations like OpenCL or Octane render, you won't see miracles. I think Octane bench is around two times in favor of 1070, four times when it comes to 1080 (something like that).
9 posts
I use a GTX 750ti most of the time to drive a 4k display even though I have a couple of 1080's that I run headless for Redshift and other GPU tasks. I think you'll be fine with a 1050ti.
66 posts
Depending on where you are at, you would be better off going with a workstation card. All the gaming cards are massively inflated in price right now.
  • Quick Links