Search - User list
Full Version: Clear ALL Houdini Cache?
Root » Technical Discussion » Clear ALL Houdini Cache?
Affex
Hey everyone!

I've seen some old posts on this issue, but never found a solution.

I was wondering if anyone know if it's possible to clear all cache without having to close down Houdini.
The “Cache Manager” is only able to clear so much, and some cache is still left behind eventually causing Houdini to freeze. I'm currently working on a large terrain field, and I'm having to re-start Houdini after caching geometry to disk every so often.

If not, could I create a python script that will close and re-open houdini whenever I need to? Otherwise generating this terrain will become a very manual process, that I am sure I could automize.

Any help is much appreciated!

Audun
Digipiction
I also currently work with height fields a lot, and I have the same problem. It seems that working with high resolution height fields is very cumbersome in this regard.
Luke Letellier
I'm working with Volumes, and am running into the same issue. A "Flush RAM" feature that would clean out everything but the absolute necessities would be extremely helpful.
Alt_stage
I have a similar problem when caching breaks; I would like to be able to remove unused nodes from RAM.
Soothsayer
Whenever this comes up in studios IT chuckles and says that Linux automatically releases memory and we're all mistaken, etc. Reading around tech forums and I get the same impression but anybody that has worked a decent amount in Houdini knows that in practice it really isn't the case and that caches do get 'filled up'. I'm curious to what's really going on!
kodra
I don't know what your IT meant. Linux doesn't automatically releases memory allocated for an ongoing process. Linux, like any other OS, respects when the process wants to release memory.

Houdini definitely has some memory leaking issues. Actually it's very hard to find a program written in C++ that is completely free from memory leak.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.