Houdini Indie now renders animations at 4k and includes second "home" license

5227   7   1
Staff
1182 posts
The latest production build of Houdini brings exciting new improvements to the licensing and render restrictions on Houdini Indie while also adding a powerful new UV Flatten tool and important refinements to FBX import and export. The Houdini Indie program has been a successful initiative designed to provide indie animators and gamedevs, who have a gross income less than $100K USD, with access to the features of Houdini FX with very few restrictions.

In response to feedback from the Houdini Indie community, SideFX is increasing the render resolution limit for image sequences from 1080p to 4K x 4K in order to facilitate the generation of high definition imagery, which is especially important for artists creating VR content. SideFX will also be issuing a supplementary license to all Indie users to allow them to install Houdini on a second computer/laptop, or to work in dual boot mode. The use of these two licenses is restricted to a single artist, who can only use Houdini Indie on one of these computers at a time as per the EULA.

With these added features and the recent addition of third party rendering, SideFX has set a new annual price for Houdini Indie of $269 USD for a single year or $399 USD for a two-year term.

LEARN MORE… [www.sidefx.com]
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
41 posts
Does the resolution change apply to 3rd party render engines like Redshift as well?
41 posts
I think the price increase is unwarranted. The single license/dual computer has been a long requested ability by users. 4K rendering is nice but not everyone will utilize it.

Now I have to decide whether renewing Indie will be worthwhile considering the jump in price especially in Canadian dollars.

#Disappointed
H Indie | LightWave | ZBrush | Clarisse iFX | HDR Light Studio Pro | RenderMan
248 posts
Pixel8d
Now I have to decide whether renewing Indie will be worthwhile considering the jump in price especially in Canadian dollars.

#Disappointed

You seriously suggesting that adding the $69usd per year is a dealbreaker for you? This is beyond me. Just upgrading C4D yearly will go around $500-$1000, let alone Autodesk thingies cost $1500+ per year.
=========
=====
=====
=========
The only thing that I was hoping for is being able to render at 1440p, but 4k? Wow, this is superb news.
Also, the addition of 2-year commitment is great as well. Will be getting that one when the current rent period is over.
Thanks SideFX! Superb news!
Edited by osong - Feb. 9, 2018 03:21:12
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
76 posts
I am very happy because now we(Indies) can do more with Houdini(H).
I was sad about the fact that resolution was to smalls for this days…but now it is very suitable.
Of course the price still very good to be honest only Blender can surpass H in price but I can do a lot of good things here in big scale that was difficult in other software.
The news is very good thank you
37 posts
glitchigami
Pixel8d

#Disappointed

You seriously suggesting that adding the $69usd per year is a dealbreaker for you? This is beyond me. Just upgrading C4D yearly will go around $500-$1000, let alone Autodesk thingies cost $1500+ per year.

And that's not even considering the plug-ins you need to remotely being able to do what Houdini does out of the box.
320 posts
SideFX will also be issuing a supplementary license to all Indie users to allow them to install Houdini on a second computer/laptop, or to work in dual boot mode. The use of these two licenses is restricted to a single artist, who can only use Houdini Indie on one of these computers at a time as per the EULA.

was I supposed to get an email stating such? I never did and tried to install Indie on a second computer and installer would not let me.
833 posts
bobc4d
was I supposed to get an email stating such? I never did and tried to install Indie on a second computer and installer would not let me.

Dunno about receiving e-mail, but you need to be running running at least .378 in order to access the 2nd machine authorization. Worked like a charm for me, although I did find the License Administrator utility a bit confusing at first.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links