Redshift issues in Houdini Indie

593   2   0
152 posts
Any Houdini Indie Redshift users around? Bonus if you're also a Mac OS X user. I'm having some difficulties setting up Redshift within Houdini on my main rig despite following all the instructions to the letter.

If anyone can assist, I'd love to ask you some questions and see if you might be able to help me out.
>>Kays
1709 posts
Just post on the Redshift forum, there are several install threads running there.
Most common problem is version mismatch or not configuring the houdini.env file correctly.

Can you post the current contents of your houdini.env?
Using Houdini Indie

Windows 7 32GB AMD FX8370 @ 4.0Ghz
nVidia 1070GTX 8BG RAM. Driver: 358.87
152 posts
Thanks. I solved the issue (thanks to the Redshift folks who were right on top of it, I can't say good enough things about those guys). I'll post the solution here for future reference.

Basically I followed the instructions verbatim to get Redshift working with the latest Houdini Indie – everything appeared inside Houdini as expected (menu, shelf tools, etc.), however when trying to instantiate anything it would give me an error. So lights, camera, IPR, even the settings wouldn't work.

The fix, turns out is this (response from Juanjo at Redshift):

“you need to have H16.5.268 installed on your system to work with the plugin, even if you are going to use one of the latest Houdini production builds.” … “The problem is that some of the Houdini libs available in the Houdini installation folder are requested also by the plugin and the plugin is going to try to find these libs in the same Houdini version used to compile the plugin. Probably we should release a plugin build for each Houdini production build to avoid these issues, but this could make the Redshift installer even bigger than it is now.”

So there you have it folks! I hope this helps someone else in the future who runs into the same issue.
>>Kays
  • Quick Links