Particles as Primitives from POPNet

1522   5   1
766 posts
Anyone know how to attach primitives to points from a POPNet in Houdini ?

I'm struggling with this for over a week. I don't want to emit points from primitives. I want if a sphere is broken up into individual primitives the particles from a POPNet take on the primitives from the sphere; when the particles are simulated the primitives on the sphere are moved around depending on what is done to the particles in the POPNet.
【T】【C】【S】
336 posts
This setup moves fractured geometry with particles, but you could easily modify to take a bunch of prims. You'll have to use connectivity and set both of the for-each SOPS to Attribute instead of Group and use class
766 posts
When you say “This Setup” is there anything more to that or that is just your way of explaining how to do it ?

I have to iterate over all the prims I assume I can do this using any method I prefer (Python,VEX,ForEachSOP) ? Followed by using the connectivity SOP and set the attribute within the connectivity SOP to attribute instead of group and use class ?
【T】【C】【S】
336 posts
Here's a simplified version using just geometry, no need to iterate over prims with vex, it's just use Connectivity and promote the class attribute to primitives. It has a few added controls to randomly scale and rotate prims by age, I hope it's helpful

Attachments:
animGeoWithPOPs.hipnc (312.1 KB)

336 posts
Christopher_R
When you say “This Setup” is there anything more to that or that is just your way of explaining how to do it ?

I have to iterate over all the prims I assume I can do this using any method I prefer (Python,VEX,ForEachSOP) ? Followed by using the connectivity SOP and set the attribute within the connectivity SOP to attribute instead of group and use class ?
I just realized the original attached hipfile never got posted, no wonder there was confusion The latest file I posted is a more streamlined setup anyway, cheers!
766 posts
Sorry I'm loading this scene in 15.5; I'm unable see the full effect of your scene due to the view errors I get upon loading.
【T】【C】【S】
  • Quick Links