Trouble displaying pyro smoke object in Geometry level

6878   2   0
79 posts
Hello, this problem suddenly surfaced and I have never seen it before, as bizarre as it sounds: I can only see my smoke object inside DOP, once I jump out one level to Geometry level, it's totally gone, and I also don't see any volume data cause I can't use dop import field to import them neither, does anyone know why? thank you.
Staff
2540 posts
Did you change the names of any of the nodes? That will invalidate the automatic paths used by some of the nodes setup from the shelf.

Or you have a display bug. For the display bug, close the viewport and create a new viewport tab display and see if that forces things to refresh…

In a standard DOP Pyro shelf setup, an object is created to fetch the pyro object from the DOP simulation network for display and rendering.
This object is usually called pyro_import.

Inside the pyro_import object, there are two SOPs: DOP I/O and DOP Import.

The DOP Import is used to fetch the visualization data using this python expression:
`dopobjscreatedby(“/obj/pyro_sim/pyro”)`
This means that if you changed the name of the source object then you are not going to get a proper result. You can just use the absolute path to the pyro object.
Something like:

/obj/pyro_sim/pyro

where pyro_sim is the name of the dop network in /obj used to do the pyro simulation and pyro is the name of the Smoke Object DOP used to initialize the smoke object.

About the name of the Smoke Object DOP… Ultimately you should use the Geometry Spreadsheet (Details View) in DOPs to see the actual name of the pyro object and use that. But that name is created by the Smoke Object DOP using

The Shelf Tool Pyro setup puts a $OS in the Object Name parameter where $OS returns the name of the current node. Change the name of this node, no more auto-sourcing by the DOP Import SOP.

Blow away the expressions and type in the names does work…
There's at least one school like the old school!
79 posts
thank you, I mistakenly put my smoke* in DOP Node under Dop Import Fields instead of Default Object, well. Still, thank you.
  • Quick Links