Terrain river creation

3309   4   2
10 posts
Hi, trying to figure out how to cut rivers into a terrain. I have a large terrain based off a map and I need to have a number of rivers intersect across the map from small mountain springs and ending at the sea. I have tried multiple ways but being a Houdini novice I cannot find a system that gives the desired result. Ideally I need some form of editable curve or point that I can start at the highest point and then have all subsequent points be equal or lower only. They need to cut into the terrain as rivers and I also need to be able to merge multiple rivers at some points. It’s ultimatly going to be imported into UE4. Any help or advise as to where to look or even what to look at would be appreciated.
2535 posts
Have your tried just playing the timeline after creating a terrain object?
I believe natural erosion will occur and form rivers if you let it run long enough.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
10 posts
Yea I need to place the rivers where they are on the map so need art direction. Thanks.
13 posts
Hi demonseedgfx,

There is a video [vimeo.com] by Guerrilla Games, showing how they created the river system for Horizon - Zero Dawn using Houdini. Its not really at the beginner level but it will give you an idea of what's involved.

cheers,
Richard.
10 posts
Hi Krabr. I have just seen this after posting my question. Exactly what I want. As you say not beginner but if I'm gonna learn I might as well learn the stuff I want to know. I might post further questions regarding parts of their process here. Thanks
  • Quick Links