Search - User list
Full Version: How Do I Get Geometry Animations/Deformations from Houdini to Play in Unity?
Root » Houdini Engine for Unity » How Do I Get Geometry Animations/Deformations from Houdini to Play in Unity?
Subtle 1rony
Hello, I was trying to get an animation like the one below to play in Unity. I read in the forum about the bake Animation feature in the Unity Inspector, but when I try to use it, it says “no animation was found to bake.” Is there a way to make this work?

My end goal here was to bring animated and/or deforming geometry from Houdini into Unity. Maybe there is a better way to bake out the animation from Houdini, before importing into Unity? I appreciate any help.
seelan
The bake animation functionality of the old plugin doesn't really work well. It would be better to either export as FBX with animation, or if you are deforming geometry, then use the Vertex Animation Texture tools:
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/unity-shaders-for-vertex-animation-export-tools/ [www.sidefx.com]
Subtle 1rony
Hi seelanv, thanks for responding. Could you elaborate on the process of exporting as FBX with animation and importing into Unity? I'm using the above posted scene file for testing. I can export as FBX from Houdini and import into Unity and the mesh shows up, but it is static. I cannot get the animation to play inside of Unity.

The cubes do import into maya fine and it seems to read the mesh animation from an FBXCacheExport that gets written out from Houdini when I export it. It seems Unity cannot read that data in the same way and I am not sure how to attach the motion to the mesh in a way Unity can read. I appreciate any help!
-Eric
seelan
I don't think Unity FBX importer supports point cache animations, so that's probably not the best approach. I'd recommend checking out the Vertex Animation Texture tools that I linked above for what you're attempting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.