Search - User list
Full Version: Select several points on a CURVE, how?
Root » Technical Discussion » Select several points on a CURVE, how?
Masoud
Hello;

Here is my question:
jsmack
You can't, because that tool doesn't use a selection. There's no where for the selection to ‘go’ that would inform the tool which points are being moved. You'll have to move multiple points using an edit for now.
Masoud
Thanks jsmack.
SamIAm
I hope this ability is added one day. It really makes working with curves for direct modelling tasks a chore.

I would also love to see the ability to create bezier curves in a more traditional way. For example, if a control point could be made either a sharp point or a bezier handle controlled curve, curves would be much easier to work with. The current method of counting control points out as you create them to try and get a sharp point where you need it is a problem.

I have resigned myself to using Nurbs with Order set to 3. This way 2 points co-located will create a sharp point, with single points creating smooth curves.
BabaJ
For example, if a control point could be made either a sharp point or a bezier handle controlled curve, curves would be much easier to work with.

You can do this with opening existing curve node and reseting defaults or using vex spline function. However, it is a bit bulky using parameters to control the ‘anchor’ points and the handles for the guides ( as you have a slider parameter for each x,y,z of each guide.).

I guess a little hdk work and/or knowledge of generating handles for viewport would make it more like what you want.
jsmack
SamIAm
I hope this ability is added one day. It really makes working with curves for direct modelling tasks a chore.

I would also love to see the ability to create bezier curves in a more traditional way. For example, if a control point could be made either a sharp point or a bezier handle controlled curve, curves would be much easier to work with. The current method of counting control points out as you create them to try and get a sharp point where you need it is a problem.

I have resigned myself to using Nurbs with Order set to 3. This way 2 points co-located will create a sharp point, with single points creating smooth curves.

Have you tried the path tool? It works at object level, and uses special nulls as the break points.
SamIAm
Thanks, scaling the control nulls created by the path tool does make it easier to manage the bezier control points, but it sure does leave a mess behind at Object level.

I have found that creating a polygon CV curve (hard edges only) and then laying down a convert node with ‘Interpolate Through Hulls’ on to generate the bezier control points curve is reasonably manageable.

It would be nice if the control points were constrained to the primary points as they are with the path tool. It would also be nice if they could be easily identified by color.
EricSheng
I hope I can see a real Curve tool like C4D in Houdini one day. Current Curve tool is just not for human.
DASD
Concerning this, you should send in support for:

Side Effects Support Ticket: RFE (ID# 96847)

I sent
“RFE: Please add ability to move, rotate, scale and delete multiple points in a curve SOP at once”
and
“RFE: Please add handles to the Bezier mode of the curve tool”
, but both of those were added to RFE (ID# 96847).
BabaJ
I sent
“RFE: Please add ability to move, rotate, scale and delete multiple points in a curve SOP at once”
and
“RFE: Please add handles to the Bezier mode of the curve tool”
, but both of those were added to RFE (ID# 96847).

You may want to be more specific in the RFE. And I am assuming it would be emphasis on something like “…ease of use, like in other software such as _____”

The reason I say that is because the you already can rotate,scale and delete multiple points in a curve ‘at once’ already.

And there already are handles of the Bezier mode of the curve tool(they just don't have lines drawn to them from the point being controlled like in Illustrator.)
EricSheng
It's an old topic, but I just wonder will this function be added in H18? I mean Solaris is awesome, but Houdini really lacks in some basic functions, like the “ugly” Curve tool. Curve tool can be the base input for many custom hdas, if the input tool sucks, the experience of the whole procedural generation system will be destroyed.
Is this a joke? cause I can find someone asked for this since 2007, and now 2020 is coming. If the new LOPs can offer us a greater curve tool, it will be so much fun than some useless new node like the Poly Draw.
Marian_Pramberger
Yes Please, I would love an updated Curve Tool as well!
blakshep
Totally agreed, just realized too curves just lacks any kind of fun. Could we have like one node where you can add, delete points, transform more than one element and able to set weight/ bezier handles like every other software?
aeaeaeae
There's a general lack of ways to create and edit geometry at a manual level. It's criples the procedural process since you often need manual control points or inputs and building these is always a hack. They should really introduce a modeling node, a merge of the Edit SOP, the Retopo SOP and the Curve SOP that lets you add, delete and edit points, edges and prims at will.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.