Search - User list
Full Version: Leg auto foot roll setup using Channel Wrangle CHOP
Root » Work in Progress » Leg auto foot roll setup using Channel Wrangle CHOP
traileverse
An auto foot roll setup using CHOPS. Any feedback on this type of setup is appreciated, this is how I tried it. So essentially what I'm doing is figuring how to setup up each body part manually so I can build my own modular auto rigger. I'll share for feedback as I go along. Thanks.
anon_user_89151269
Looks good so far.
Here's my feedback as an amateur animator: I don't like animating sliders, I much prefer having viewport ctrls. It would be great if some nulls or other type of ctrls would be linked to those params driving the sliders.
So, a tip roll ctrl, a ball roll ctrl, a ball rotate ctrl (FK like rotation) and of course the main foot ctrl which is already there.
anon_user_89151269
I'm working on a custom quadruped rig myself.
Although I often need rigging for posing, I hope I won't have to do this custom rigging work starting with a feature H version, mainly because I want to focus on character/creature creation not become a pro-rigger. I'm hoping that at some point the default Autorig and other user created solutions will be so good that I'll be able to focus on what I like.

So with that optimistic goal in mind, I want to offer as much feedback as I can on this.
So I made this gif to better illustrate what I meant above with having viewport ctrls also.
traileverse
Thanks for the feedback McNistor, Yeah in the final setups there will definitely be controls in the viewport for all the main parts and also the ability to hide those controls. I will also be developing a character picker. By the way, are you using Houdini as your character/creature creation tool along with something like ZBrush? If so how is the back and forth workflow going for you if you're using GoZ?
anon_user_89151269
Thus far, regarding character/creature creation, I have not used Houdini for anything other than rendering the final image and the occasional retopo of areas that Zbrush's Zremesher botches totally and is inadequate even for posing inside Zb. For production/animation ready models, Zremesher can provide a mere starting point.
I do not use GoZ because first there's no GoZ for Houdini AFAIK and second, I didn't need to send back and forth meshes that often. Beside that, I have no idea how to use it from an workflow PoV, even if it were available.
Looking forward to testing this rig you're working on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.