Stairstep render artifacts with Mantra:

1765   5   0
15 posts
Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has seen an issue like this before. I'm rendering in Mantra (PBR) and getting some really nasty artifacts.

I have played around with various quality settings to get the artifacts to go away or at least be reduced. The only thing that seems to make a difference is adjusting rendered image size. Increasing the resolution of the render results in smaller squares/stepping, but shrinking the image results in larger artifacts. Of course, I can't render out a gigantic image (10k x 10k or more) to fix this, but if I could it would probably solve my problem.

Let me know if I need to post more information about my render settings.

Thanks,

Alex

Attachments:
stairstep_artifacts_01.PNG (4.1 MB)

1755 posts
Render with Preview OFF. It will render with very few, if any at all, artifacts as well as faster.

Attachments:
preview_off.jpg (40.1 KB)

15 posts
Yes, that looks like the problem. Thanks a lot. A mistake made by a novice.
1755 posts
No problem.
One day, that preview toggle will make no difference in the render time and quality of the final image and then I'll rejoice, but that's a future me that I now envy
2036 posts
Just curious…and I could probably just test myself, being lazy atm…but does this have something to do with the ‘render pane’ itself.

Meaning is one likely to still see some differences in render pane with preview off vs. results from image saved to disk, say with .exr uncompressed and opened in Mplay?
15 posts
@BabaJ

Actually, yes. I also had tested much later last night by rendering in Mplay, which (I guess) does not have a preview setting turned on by default (or has one at all, I don't know). The render looked fine.

Turning off the preview toggle does fix this in the render view. Things you wish you knew.
  • Quick Links