Search - User list
Full Version: quickest UV mapping of box geos?
Root » Technical Discussion » quickest UV mapping of box geos?
olivierth
Hi!

I'm making a wood floor with simple boxes. When I use the autoUV sop with UVunwrap set to 6 planes it takes over 2 mins to cook. I was wondering if there's a quicker way of doing it.

For example, is there a way I could make primitive groups by normals and use those groups to define my UV's edge seams? I'm guessing it could be faster to layout.

Thanks.

-Olivier
old_school
First off I have to say I am loving your forum posts. Watching your progress is fantastic. Would love to chat off line at some point…

Are you using a Foreach Block wrapped in a Compile Block to try to parallel the problem?

Share the scene file?
olivierth
Hi old_school.

Thanks for the nice comment. It means a lot coming from a veteran like you (2502 posts, wow!)

I'm a texture artist at the moment but I know for sure my career will eventually branch off to Houdini modeling!

The basics of my setup is a pattern of super long lines that I cut somewhere in the middle section if they are too long (for-each primitive). I repeat the process over and over until all the lines are at a good length(for-loop with feedback). From there, I extrude the result, etc.

I've wanted to make a wood floor generator ever since I saw Anastasia Opara's house generator. I think it's my 3rd and final RnD on it!

Feel free to connect on LinkedIn if you want to chat! www.linkedin.com/in/olivierth
olivierth
…actually, I don't fully understand your: “wrapped in a Compile Block to try to parallel the problem”? I've never seen this node before. I'll look it up.

-Olivier
matthias_k
Maybe something like this?
Cooking time seems ok to me, even if i put it in after the polybevel.
Maybe it's better to have an undistortorted copy of the planks
where you assign the uv coordinates and then point transfer the uv to the
distorted geometry to make it follow the distortion.
olivierth
Ah!

With the autoUV sop, I never bothered to check the UVunwrap sop. That's much faster!

Thanks matthias_k!

-Olivier
matthias_k
…actually, I don't fully understand your: “wrapped in a Compile Block to try to parallel the problem”?

https://vimeo.com/222881605 [vimeo.com]

https://vimeo.com/213127548 [vimeo.com]

Maybe setup must be “tuned” for the compiled blocks.
Always compare cook times…
Have the little “gear” seen in the videos visible always,
to see if you can get “all” out of the compiled blocks idea.
olivierth
Thanks for the videos. I'll watch them once I get the time.

-Olivier
Konstantin Magnus
Here is a fast cooking approach for creating floor tiles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.