Search - User list
Full Version: Ik end effectors not created at the right place?
Root » Technical Discussion » Ik end effectors not created at the right place?
Adriano
I'm creating some IK for a bone chain, but no matter how many times i try the ik effectors keep being created at the centroid of my scene instead of at the end of the bone chain. Any idea why it does that please?

Cheers,

A.
Adriano
All my new bones that comes with the IK created as well are just centered in the middle of the scene.
It really does look like the IK system's broken when creating bones without IK, and then apply IK from bones. I select the root of my bone chain, press ik from bones, give it a name, then select my bone sequence in the right order… Press enter, and bang, everything is placed at the center of the scene. However if i create the bone with IK from the start with the drop down menu above the scene view (why oh why these drop downs there…), it does apply the Ik and leaves the bones at the same location and places the IK effector at the end of my chain, while offering yet less optins than the first procedure (less nodes).

Cheers,

A.
goldfarb
Are you using the IK From Bones tool?
I just tried it in the latest build of 16.5 and it works just fine, be sure to read the prompts.
Adriano
goldfarb
Are you using the IK From Bones tool?
I just tried it in the latest build of 16.5 and it works just fine, be sure to read the prompts.

I did, i'm following the steps… for some reasons it just keeps creating all the bones and effectors at the center of the scene. Still can't figure out why. And i promise you i'm reading those prompts…. or am i missing one? I'll try again.

Cheers,

A.
Adriano
Again, i do exactly what i'm told. I choose the root, name it, select the sequence of bones, i press enter… and bang again, all in the center of the scene far away from my bones's location.

Is it an issue to create those in a subnet? It shouldn't matter, right? I tried at the scene root anyway, didn't make a difference.

A friend of mine, johan Boekhoven made a simple video tut about it, it does the same, and it works on his side. Here, no matter how hard i try, nope.

Cheers,

A.
jsmack
Check your ‘keep position when parenting’ and ‘child compensation’ user prefs. It is possible to disable them globally (don't ask why,) wreaking havoc on rigs and rigging tools.
Adriano
jsmack
Check your ‘keep position when parenting’ and ‘child compensation’ user prefs. It is possible to disable them globally (don't ask why,) wreaking havoc on rigs and rigging tools.

So what? Should it be on or off? Cause now it's all “off” on every bones, and it just does not work. I'm making a video to show what's going on. Maybe i'm missing an obvious step in this.

Cheers,

A.
Adriano
Not working for me.

Is there any other mysterious default settings i should turn on or off before getting into rigging that i don't know about please?

Cheers,

A.
anon_user_89151269
jsmack
It is possible to disable them globally (don't ask why,) wreaking havoc on rigs and rigging tools.

Ha! I did just that recently, to Support in a related RFE.
What's frustrating is that I found no explanation for this one, from anyone, anywhere. Maybe didn't look well enough.
And even more frustrating than not knowing how's that global override useful, is that it came up in a context of another feature request regarding a global toggle for “Keep position when parenting” default. If you use the gear menu, you'll have to do it for every type of object - set it on a primitive object and all of this type will obey the set default, but not nulls and other types. Delete the prefs for whatever reason and you're back to doing menial work.

See if the prefs are set to anything other than “use object flag”. Those purple marked sections should be “use…”.
If this is not the cause of your problem, I got nothing else.

edit: Just did a test with your setting - that's the culprit. Set “use object flag” for those overrides.
Adriano
inhiding
jsmack
It is possible to disable them globally (don't ask why,) wreaking havoc on rigs and rigging tools.

What's frustrating is that I found no explanation for this one, from anyone, anywhere. Maybe didn't look well enough.
And even more frustrating than not knowing how's that global override useful, is that it came up in a context of another feature request regarding a global toggle for “Keep position when parenting” default. If you use the gear menu, you'll have to do it for every type of object - set it on a primitive object and all of this type will obey the set default, but not nulls and other types. Delete the prefs for whatever reason and you're back to doing menial work.

See if the prefs are set to anything other than “use object flag”. Those purple marked sections should be “use…”.

Thanks man
inhiding
jsmack

Pffeeweww, thank you, Sir. That fixed it indeed. Oh man, what a head ache that issue. Cheers for that.

For anyone bumping into that… “use object flag” is the one you wnat to keep. Don't do like me and think you can just do whatever you want and “keep position when parenting” cause you lazy and want to save a few clicks by setting this by default months ago and then totally forget about this rebelious impulse.

Going back to work, need to catch up with all those lost hours. Thanks guys.

A.
anon_user_89151269
No problem. This is the 3rd or the 4th post related to this issue in the last week or so.
Is someone that counts watching?
Adriano
inhiding
Is someone that counts watching?

You implying… “we” do not count?

Niiiice.

goldfarb
Use Object Flag is the default.

and IMO should stay that way - I know that there were users who wanted a way to set these globally, I can't remember why, so a pref was added.
anon_user_89151269
If you're willing to ask around and let us know in what workflow is that useful, I shell buy a beverage of your choice should we ever meet.
Not looking for a gotcha moment in case no one remembers why are those setting there, but at this point I've burned so many brain cells on the issue that I really need closure.
anon_user_89151269
goldfarb
I know that there were users who wanted a way to set these globally, I can't remember why, so a pref was added.

Just to be clear we're on the same page. Lots of users as seen here [www.sidefx.com], here [www.sidefx.com] and here in this thread, most likely confused those prefs with a way to set the Objs' flag globally, upon creation, not an override. An override will ignore the Objs' flag, hence the resulting mess when one override is active.

In my RFE, aside from asking what are these overrides good for, I proposed two additional global options for when the overrides (always/never) are not active: “keep position…” ON or OFF upon object creation. Shelf tools that create certain setups can have their own necessary defaults I presume. I got no ticket number back.

So this is where we're at with this issue.
Adriano
I'm just gonna drop that here, hope it doesn't bother anyone. But here are some things i bumped into the past couple of days that really tickled me a bit.

Off course that issue you guys wasted brain cells over was a pain. Resolved. THANK YOU.

But i can't say i'm really impressed by the workflow for rigging in Houdini. It's a lot of back and forth between shelves buttons, Object nodes, SOP levels nodes, with some very confusing easy to miss drop down menus above the scene view that shuold really be accessible as well in other places. Just found out also with a little help from a friend how to edit capture region orientation after applying IK… and that's at sub-sop level :$ So one more context to search in. And i'm now wasting so much time bringing my “extra regions” manually by selecting bones, dropping them in the python shell window, copying that text, cleaning it up in notepad, pasting it back into the bone capture node… and so on and so on, and so on. I'm not Houdini expert so i don't know if i'm entitled to make claims about the rigging workflow, but after a couple of day diving into it my head's spinning, feeling dizzy from going from one place ot the other :$ So i get it, rigging isn't for the faint-hearted, it's serious stuff and methodology and accuracy is required… but oh boy could that workflow be simplified a bit here and there i feel.

Cheers,

A.
anon_user_89151269
Adriano
i can't say i'm really impressed by the workflow for rigging in Houdini. It's a lot of back and forth between shelves buttons, Object nodes, SOP levels nodes, with some very confusing

This is an affliction not endemic to rigging. Preferences and options are not well organized and since I've brought this up around H14, little if anything changed. Other areas suffer from the same seeming lack of elegance when it comes to user interaction, but most new comers that didn't leave in the first days, have stayed for other things they found in Houdini which is unparalleled flexibility.

Adriano
I'm not Houdini expert so i don't know if i'm entitled to make claims about the rigging workflow

You are as entitled to express your opinion as anyone else, which, if backed with evidence, they're going to become more than that. But beside that, it's exactly your lack of experience in H that puts you in a good spot to be a credible voice regarding whether something's intuitive or not. Once you know something, you no longer rely on intuitiveness.

edit: forgot to mention that beside making waves on forums about issues, one should also file RFEs with proposed fixes and improvements, otherwise they can get lost in the sea of info and no one “that counts” will see them.
goldfarb
Adriano
Just found out also with a little help from a friend how to edit capture region orientation after applying IK… and that's at sub-sop level :$ So one more context to search in. And i'm now wasting so much time bringing my “extra regions” manually by selecting bones, dropping them in the python shell window, copying that text, cleaning it up in notepad, pasting it back into the bone capture node…

what exactly are you doing here?
I did just notice that the Bone Capture SOP doesn't have an Operator Chooser on it's Extra Regions parameter (RFE #89103). Is this the parameter you're filling in?
Adriano
goldfarb
Adriano

I did just notice that the Bone Capture SOP doesn't have an Operator Chooser on it's Extra Regions parameter (RFE #89103). Is this the parameter you're filling in?

Not sure i undersdtand the first part of your question… what am i doing “here”… here in this post, on the forum? Here in the Houdini scene?

Silly me, i thought it was a deliberate choice to not have that object chooser there. Yes, that's the parameter i'm talking about. Although bringing an Oject merge node and copying from that is a wholte lot faster :$ Didn't think about that one then.

Cheers,

A.
Adriano
goldfarb
Adriano
Just found out also with a little help from a friend how to edit capture region orientation after applying IK… and that's at sub-sop level :$ So one more context to search in. And i'm now wasting so much time bringing my “extra regions” manually by selecting bones, dropping them in the python shell window, copying that text, cleaning it up in notepad, pasting it back into the bone capture node…

You're right… i realize i should be a little more hands on and submit a RFE, instead of dumping this in a random post and let someone else do it for me. I'm just not very familiar with the Forum all that much beside bugging everyone for answers. I'll pay more attention.

Cheers,

A.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.