Search - User list
Full Version: Help centering and aligning an axis!
Root » Houdini Lounge » Help centering and aligning an axis!
Graco123
My assembly is from CAD so all the parts are in their correct place already. The “move pivot to center” does so based on a bounding box oriented from the scene. What I need to be able to do is select polygons, or points and have the center of the object align and center to the selection.

Please help me do this. I've played with the c-plane, Align handle, Orientation picking. None of them put the axis in the center of a ring of polygons.

I'm lost.
BabaJ
Hope this helps.

Using @P of selected prim.

Could also change wrangle to use intrinsic bounds of selected prim.

similar process also if you want to use points as your reference.

Also, if you want to use the bounds of a selected group of points/prims, also is possible.
Graco123
BabaJ
Hope this helps.

Using @P of selected prim.

Could also change wrangle to use intrinsic bounds of selected prim.

similar process also if you want to use points as your reference.

Also, if you want to use the bounds of a selected group of points/prims, also is possible.

Unfortunately, I was not able to open the file.
Graco123
Pretend the cylinder is a cad file in the place it needs to be. The Axis is at 0,0,0, normally. When I use the center axis command, it centers the axis according to the bounding box. I need a way to center based on some selected elements, whether it is faces, points, etc…
BabaJ

You have to log in to be able to open the hip file.
Graco123
BabaJ

You have to log in to be able to open the hip file.

Not sure I understand. I downloaded the file, but when I go to open it…I get this error.
BabaJ
Thats odd…opens fine for me, and I'm using a different version than back in April when it was made.

Here is another.
Graco123
BabaJ
Thats odd…opens fine for me, and I'm using a different version than back in April when it was made.

Here is another.

I do appreciate your trying to help, unfortunately I'm still struggling to open the file?
Midphase
Have you tried the Axis Align node in the Gave Development Toolset?
Graco123
Midphase
Have you tried the Axis Align node in the Gave Development Toolset?

I have looked at the toolset in tutorials but it seems that this workflow moves the geometry to the center point. I can't do that. I need the geometry to stay in place. Sometimes there are hundreds of parts assembled into a model that I get from CAD. It would be painful to move all the parts to the center, and then have to re-align them to their proper place.
BabaJ
Out of curiosity…can you open any other hip file from the forum?
Graco123
BabaJ
Out of curiosity…can you open any other hip file from the forum?

I've never had a problem before.
BabaJ
But can you open any other file now from current posts?

The reason I ask is because your solution is in the hip file I posted.

If you can't open it but others can something needs to be done on your end.( Bug report to forum administrator ).

If others can't open my file ( can someone try? ),

then it's on my end and I should look into it.
Graco123
BabaJ
But can you open any other file now from current posts?

The reason I ask is because your solution is in the hip file I posted.

If you can't open it but others can something needs to be done on your end.( Bug report to forum administrator ).

If others can't open my file ( can someone try? ),

then it's on my end and I should look into it.

I just went and downloaded https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/55977/ [www.sidefx.com] RdbPackedObjec_Attrib_N.hiplc . It opened fine.
BabaJ
Anyone else having problems opening my hip posted here?
tranasaurus
I decided to try at home on my free version. It worked. Well the file opened at least. Not so sure that I understand just how to use it. But its a step in the right direction…

BabaJ
Anyone else having problems opening my hip posted here?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.