Let's talk Blend Shapes

3056   11   1
1755 posts
OKay, I've attached an image which is hopefully good enough to illustrate what I'm thinking about blendshapes.

Unless, I'm missing something, the current interpolation method is described by the first (left) diagram.

Is there a way through which the user can “define” a mid step (green) so that the transition from A to B isn't described by a straight linear translation of the geo's points?

Of course, ideally the interpolation would be a bezier curve with editable ctrl points.

You can't have organic looking deformations, often used in facial animation, aided by blendshapes that are linear.
Finding out that's already possible to achieve this, would be great news for me as I'm planning to dive into facial rigging/animation sometime soon.
Cheers!

edit: I know this is not a trivial issue, but it has been done apparently. [stargrav.com]
And this is the tool in action:
https://vimeo.com/265674660 [vimeo.com]
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - April 26, 2018 11:00:16

Attachments:
H_blendshapes_1.jpg (103.0 KB)

555 posts
hmm…seems to just works for me…

EDIT: waiiiiit a minute….think i see my flaw now….
Edited by vusta - April 26, 2018 22:04:21

Attachments:
fan.jpg (275.2 KB)
vu_fan.hipnc (61.3 KB)

7758 posts
lol, you are animating the rotation. That doesn't happen with just a blend shape.
2038 posts
I've never use a blend shape…so I can't make any suggestions.

But maybe you can wrangle with blend shapes like I wrangle with lerping.

Attachments:
Lerp and Wrangle.hiplc (83.4 KB)

555 posts
bit of a hack here…

Attachments:
vu_BlendHack.hipnc (65.8 KB)

1755 posts
Thanks for your input guys. Unfortunately, blend shapes to be used in a facial rig or any other animation setup, is a complicated issue. The images I sketched above were to represent conceptually a very simple case, this is hardly ever happening in practice and this is the crux of the matter: figuring out the actual path the points take from shape A to shape B in order to have a believable transformation. And “believable” is a hard nut to crack because from A to B a point can take many paths, the start and the end being always the same, what's happening in the middle being the thing that makes a difference, which is why the user intervention is necessary in order to provide the system with at least one mid-step (like a sub-sample) so that it doesn't take another possible path.

If you go to the stargrav link and download the docs (a .zip file) you'll be able to understand the problem that they try to solve and then how they've approached it.
I'm figuring that this is something only the devs can tackle.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - April 27, 2018 03:54:52
474 posts
Hi,

you can use cubic bezier curves to interpolate two points, if you have something like a direction for both points. But getting the direction automatically, seems to be a very hard problem for a general case (sometimes the normal can be good choice perhaps). If you have multiple targets, the result may depend on the order, how you apply each morph. In the linear case the result is independent from the order.

Attachments:
bezier_blend.hipnc (96.9 KB)

483 posts
as Aizatulin said, direction/orientation is important to know.
Maybe you'll need at least 3 shapes.

or try something like this:
https://vimeo.com/251487780 [vimeo.com]

smooth it later, then you have enough informations :-)
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
483 posts
forgotten to mention:
https://www.orbolt.com/asset/ik_::RampBlend

very helpy, too…
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
483 posts
Spline blend with before and after helper…
play with the before and after helper to change the blend curves.

based on:
https://vimeo.com/251487780 [vimeo.com]
Edited by matthias_k - May 8, 2018 16:43:30

Attachments:
spline_blend_with_4.hip (82.0 KB)
spline_blend_with_3.hip (96.2 KB)

1755 posts
Thanks, guys. It'll take some time to thoroughly verify these solutions, as I intend to use a real case scenario, i.e a face with shapes, to see which and how well they perform. Also, browsing through those videos, I noticed at a glance that there are a few things I'm not familiar with yet, so figuring those out will come with additional cost.
Cheers all!
483 posts
not what was asked, one of my favorite deformers, play anim to see it deforming.
maybe helpy for refinements if you don't like painting.
Edited by matthias_k - April 28, 2018 19:47:17

Attachments:
wire_deform.hip (1.6 MB)

• Quick Links