Unreal collision generation and packed instances

3252   5   2
18 posts
I'm placing a number of assets along a spline through the use of “Copy_to_Points” and packing/instancing them so that they bake down to individual pieces in Unreal. Unfortunately when I do so it seems that the group primitive properties for setting up collision get blown away. Is there any way around this or a better method? If I try to set up collision after packing it just generates a single macro collision mesh.

Thank you for any insight you can provide!
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Which version of the plugin are you using?
Group info were lost on packed primitives, so that caused collisions, sockets and LODs to be ignored when using packed prim.

This was fixed in 16.5.392 though.
18 posts
I'm using version 16.5.439 of the plugin and Unreal 4.19.0.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Then you should be able to have a Packed Prim + collision group setup working on that version…
How are you setting up your colliders? Could you send us your HDA?

Here's a simple example that instances packed primitives with a collision group.
In UE4, you'll get Instanced Static Meshes that will have collisions.
Edited by dpernuit - May 2, 2018 11:14:21

Attachments:
damienp_packprimcollision.hda (35.2 KB)

18 posts
It turns out that it was working all along, but Unreal is having issues visualizing the collision meshes for some reason. I should have actually tried running through it instead of trusting debug visuals. Thank you for responding so quickly and offering example files!
Staff
534 posts
That's true, Unreal displays Instanced Static Meshes collisions differently than regular StaticMeshes…

If in doubt, you can also see the type and number of colliders generated by the plug-in in the details panel in the Houdini Generated Meshes section.. (number of LODs and sockets are also detailed there).
  • Quick Links